Gaming/Editing Big Rig - 1,500$

Gammertyme

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello, first time builder here.

I've been using Macs and old PCs for too long and I'd like to actually build my own this time around. I've read up and have done some research. Probably not as well versed as I should be, kind of why I need help. If you don't mind, I'd be very grateful. :D

Approximate Purchase Date: This week, most likely. Probably today or tomorrow.

Budget Range: 800$ - 1,500$ (Don't wan to skimp, but cheaper the better.)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, primarily. Me and a friend plan on recording our gaming sessions, so some editing. Some movies maybe?
secrut pr0n stash

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard (however, a not too expensive set for gaming would be welcome), Operating System.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I don't really know which is the best website to use. Whichever is cheapest? I do have a fondness for a newegg, though.

Parts Preferences: I think… Intel chipsets is all I have for a preference. I'm up for the best

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 Resolution.

Additional Comments: Not too loud, cool looking case maybeh?

I was wandering 'round the web and worked this up: Link. I don't know if it's good or not, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
How high do you want to OC? According to my quick read up on that fan, it will do well only for mild OC's. Anything higher it will struggle. If you plan to go over the 4.0 GHz mark, it may be worth it to get the hyper 212 EVO.

Also, since you're editing, might be advantageous to get the i7 2600k.

Just get the G-Skill Ripjaws 8 Gb (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600. Its more expensive but its faster and only a mild increase in price (in my opinion). For your budget, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you have the money to get 2 x gtx 560ti's, then you have the money to get a single, powerful GPU. For 500, you can get the gtx 680. I would just get the gtx 670 though for 400 then add another one in the future.

That case, even with SLI, is going to be very big. Check out the Corsair Carbide 500R or Cooler Master Haf XM as mid tower alternatives.

Other than that, great choices. Happy building. :)