Solved

$1200 Birthday Budget Build, 2012!!

Hey there!

I am willing to invest in an expensive birthday gift -- a new budget build that will be used solely for (long-term) gaming -- and am sure to buy and build it on or before my lil' bro's birthday!! So, care to give me recommendations for the best value/quality-performance parts? :D

Here are the planned specifications:

Processor: Intel core i5 3570K -- (o/c to no more than 4.0ghz to keep cool temps)
Mobo: Msi Z77A-GD55 -- (o/c features are pretty efficient, I've heard)
Graphics: Gigabyte gtx 670 -- (gtx 660, preferred. Will Sli in the future)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1600Mhz
Hdd: Seagate or WD 1Tb sataIII 7200rpm
Psu: Thermaltake 675W Toughpower XT TPX-675M 80 PLUS B -- (any better value psus out there?)
Case: Cooler Master haf 912 or Thermaltake Commander Ms-I -- (tt or cm?)
Cpu cooler: need help with this one. How about stock coolers? And, tt or cm?
Dvd writer: liteon or lg or sony or asus? -- does it make a difference :/

Tell me what you guys think, btw my bro is 13 :lol: !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: 25th June (birthday gift deadline!!)

Budget Range: $1200 max.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Vector Graphics, internet browsing

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com

Parts Preferences: intel ivy bridge, debate: nvidia gtx 670 or 660 (est. release - 25th june, i wish it were to release earlier)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1200 birthday budget build 2012
  1. Best answer
    For the motherboard, I would recommend the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H or the ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

For the CPU cooler, the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO is more than enough to overclock to 4ghz with fair temperatures.
  2. 1: get the asrock extreme4 motherboard
    2:a good 670 out there is the evga ftw or the asus directcu2
    3:recommend getting low profile ram such as gskill ares or mushkin blackline. you need them for large heatsinks
    4:seagate has cheaper drives while WD has a longer warranty
    5:the xfx core 750w is a much better psu and is completely capable of SLI and overclocks
    6:personally, i would just get a plain case like a antec 302 or a fractal core 3000
    7:a hyper 212 evo will suit your neds fine. it also comes with great thermal paste
  3. Thanks for the motherboard and cooler suggestions, but any reason (besides price) why the asrock extreme 4 is better than msi z77a-gd55?

Oh, and.. I was thinking about a mainstream thermaltake overseer case.. Is that a good case according to u guys?
  4. no they are about the same board.
  5. Best answer selected by rockstar_7.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product