Best full size computer case.....

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Well Folks,

I am looking at what kind of full size case I need when building my rig. I have never built a rig before, so we'll see how that goes!! But while compiling my list of components on pcpartpicker.com I have added the Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl ATX Full Tower Case as my choice. Since then I have done more research and found these ones. So what is my best option and if anyone has something different, please feel free to let me know. Heres the other choices.

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1)
NZXT SWITCH 810 Black CA-SW810-B1
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N)
Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition, THOR V2-W
Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA Gaming Super Tower case

The cosmos II could be nice, but way, way out of my price range. I'd like to keep it less than $180.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Alan

Solution
change the ram to 2x4gb gskill ares. 16gb is useless if you are not doing work and even if you are, you should be getting 2x8gb and a i7

change the psu to this. just as good as seasonic but cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

arctic silver 5 is useless. stock paste is just as good nowadays

full tower case is not needed. everything fits inside a R4 no problem

no need for a expensive dvd drive. get a LG for 16.99

id get a vertex 4 256gb. faster and just as reliable. if there is a free hard drive with the samsung, go ahead

dont use a crappy keyboard. get something like this...

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Since answers are slow to come by today, I have continued to research whats out there for cases. So I have broken it down to these 3......

Cooler Master RC-942-KKN1
Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl ATX Full Tower Case
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N)

So again, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Here is the rig I am looking to build and it stays very close to my $1800 budget....

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive FREE
-
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Plextor PX-L890SA R DVD/CD Writer

Monitor Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Keyboard Targus BUS0067 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse

CyberPower 850 6 Feet 8 Outlets 2400 Joules Home/Office Surge Protection

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM

change the ram to 2x4gb gskill ares. 16gb is useless if you are not doing work and even if you are, you should be getting 2x8gb and a i7

change the psu to this. just as good as seasonic but cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

arctic silver 5 is useless. stock paste is just as good nowadays

full tower case is not needed. everything fits inside a R4 no problem

no need for a expensive dvd drive. get a LG for 16.99

id get a vertex 4 256gb. faster and just as reliable. if there is a free hard drive with the samsung, go ahead

dont use a crappy keyboard. get something like this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/?tag=pcpapi-20

i dont see the point of a surge protector when a UPS can do that and provide backup power during outages

Solution

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Well Lads,

Thanks a million for the reply's. I will fight with myself all day, everyday until I start buying this stuff next month, but I appreciate all the info. I guess my next question then is what is a good UPS for my possible set up? I defiantly don't know much about this area. Also, the link to that monitor bigtroll is broken. Can you up another link please. I originally had the OCZ 4 as my SSD, but after reviewing it again on other sites people said for reliability Samsung is better, more so because the previous OCZ's had issues. But they did say the OCZ is a faster set up. When it comes to the RAM, what kind/speed of Gskill Ares is best for gaming? Finally, I like the full tower because since this is my first build, I will need room to move about or so I think. I guess to just make life easier in building this thing. I was edging towards the Cooler Master case, but I do like the black pearl case to,lol. Well again thanks for the info, any more info is always welcome.

Cheers,
Alan

1:they all work for me

2:the 1600mhz cl9 version would be optimal

3:the vertex 4 is based off of marvel hardware. its like a crucial m4 but a fair bit faster

4:no you just dont need the space. a R4 can fit everything around and will be easy to build in. plenty of space in the back and huge gromments for putting your psu cables in the back of the case. a full tower could mean the need for many extension cables which will cost you some money

5:the haf x is pretty dated. apparantly very crappy filters.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=