Xombifier

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I have a fairly new custom build desktop PC with an AMD Radeon HD 6850 GPU. I was just wondering if it would be possible to add a second GPU of around the same type (possibly the same one), and if possible would it increase the performance significantly? Would two AMD Radeon HD 6850's work together to give increased performance as a good upgrade from the one?
And would it require a better PSU? Right now I have a 600W.

I'm sorry if I did not give enough info, but please give some helpful advice for a good upgrade. Thanks.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hey there,

We need details on the motherboard, as well as the power supply make and model. The CPU, monitor and other details will be helpful too.

If your PC is capable, two of the same card should give you a pretty decent performance boost. It will not double your power, but might get you close to that in some circumstances.

What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

What is the make/model of your 600 watt PSU?

Yes you can, provided you have a crossfire capable motherboard.It's called CrossfireX for AMD cards.You can combine any card from within the same series that being the 68xx series.So you can even use a 6870 if you wanted to.

Xombifier

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hey guys, yeah I was wondering if you might need that info. Here's the specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88t-M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Current GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850

I haven't opened my computer yet to check which Power Supply I have, should I do that? Or is there some way to find the model of it using the computer?

DM186

Splendid
^+1
It always sucks to hear bad news. As Mr PS stated that your MOBO does not support it you can't even put another card into it. You only have one PCIe x 16 slot. You would have to up grade to another MOBO.

It would have to be able to use everything from this board but be able run more than one GPU. Also you need to see how big your PSU in watts it is and is it a decent one as well. That is why we need the info.

So here is a link to your present MOBO with all of it's info. The second link is to a MOBO that will work. You can shop around and find a cheaper one and when you do make sure you know what the PCIe slots and speed.

Example: On another board it shows two PCIe slots. Problem is one is PCIe x 16 and the other is PCIe x 4. You don't want that combo. What you need is a PCIe x 16 and a PCIe x 8 or a PCIe x8 and PCIe x 8.

The MOBO I linked you to is a PCIe x 16 if you use only one GPU. If you use two GPU's It will change to PCIe x 8 and PCIe x 8. How ever they do have MOBO's out there with the two slots with the two cards at PCIe x 16 and PCIe x 8.

I hope I haven't lost you. If I have just let us know and we will try to explain it better. The more a MOBO cost most likely is better. I do wish you good luck on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131657

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

DM186

Splendid
You should do what ever you want because it is your money and your PC. Now you have all the facts and you know what to do if you do anything at all. If you have any more questions just ask.

I wish you the best of luck on your choice. Just remember anything you do is going to be better than what you have now.