New PSU for gtx 660 ti

Raxat

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hey guys, recently my computer just shut off randomly with no weird noises and no smoke, just, done. So I'm pretty sure it's the power supply and I say this because I got some horrible knock-off thing that obviously doesn't power my system. So yea, it's my fault, but anyway I was wondering what would be a good power supply for my system. Thanks.

My rig:
Intel core: I3 2100 CPU @ stock
Gigabyte: GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard
RAM: Corair value series 4x2GB
HDD: WD Caviar blue 500 GB and some random 250GB HDD.
Vid Card: EVGA GTX 660 ti SC edition
Case: Rosewill Blackbone Atx Mid-tower
PSU: Apevia 500w P.O.S.

Here is Guru3Ds power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 660 Ti - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450~500 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_660_ti_sc_review,7.html I would recommend:

Antec HGC M 620W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371059
Seasonic made, 80Plus Bronze, modular, 48A of 12V power, 3 yr warranty

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550 550W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182068#top

h

That's not how it works!Recommending a powersupply by brand name is not smart imo.As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line. Cooler Master PSUs tend to be pretty crappy the ones that are good aren't extraordinary for the price. The Enhance models are especially good. All of the Silent Pro series are quite good.The rest are straight garbage!Antec offers several power supplies which tend to be hit or miss. The models made by CWT are unreliable but the Delta/Seasonic models are very good.Corsair is a well known supplier of PSU's with top notch ratings with good value. The models made by Seasonic tend to be the quietest.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

Not necessarily true with regard to CWT units. The old CWT units were the ones plagued with problems but these are units you will hardly find anymore on the market. Antec uses Delta and Seasonic for the majority of its units nowadays. Corsair uses CWT and Seasonic with CWTs filling in for the budget psus such as the CX, GS, and TXM while Seasonics fill in the HX, TX V2 and Ax units.

Quietness will tend to differ based on each person but all quality psu's should be quite cool and quiet due to efficient designs.

I have not personally used none of the new units from antec built by CWT so i will take your word for it ;) Personally i would rather buy a psu built by Seasonic,Super Flower,Delta,
Sirtec,Flextronics,Impervio,Enhance,Wintact, but to each his or her own i don't feel CWT makes the best units but i very well could be wrong.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
It depends on whichever line you're talking about. CWT is up there with Delta in terms of standardized quality but they're still both under Seasonic / SF/ Flex etc which are those premium makers.

I believe only the Antec TP's are still made by CWT. The rest of the CWT Antec units have appeared to be replaced or relegated to third world countries as lower end units.

For fact I know that the antec EA's / HCP are built by delta, TPs are by CWT, HCG 400-520-620/ Neo Eco are built by seasonic.

Edit: mixed up some units

Yeah very true.I am a loyal Seasonic fan if it's not seasonic built it's not going in my rig lol.But i understand not everybody can afford Seasonic so i don't always recommend that.BTW i checked into it - CP-850 – Delta
CP-1000 – Delta
Basiq BP300 – Delta
Basiq BP350 – FSP
Basiq BP430 – Delta
Basiq BP500 – FSP
Basiq BP550 Plus – Delta
Basiq VP350 – Delta
Basiq VP350P – Delta
Basiq VP450 – FSP
Basiq VP450P – FSP
Basiq VP450F – Delta
Basiq VP550P – Delta
Basiq VP650P – Delta
Basiq VP650PM – Delta
Earthwatts EA380 – Seasonic
Earthwatts EA380D Green Cased – Delta
Earthwatts EA430/500 (Old models) – Seasonic
Earthwatts EA430D/500D Green (Current models) – Delta
Earthwatts EA650 – Delta
Earthwatts EA750 – Delta
EcoPower 380W – Seasonic
High Current Gamer/High Current Gamer-M – 400W, 520W, 620W – Seasonic
High Current Gamer – 750W, 900W – Delta
High Current Pro – Delta
NeoHE – Seasonic
NeoPower 430, 500, 550, 650 – Seasonic
NeoPower 380W, 480W – Channel Well (CWT)
Neo Eco – Seasonic
Phantom – Channel Well (CWT)
Signature – Delta
Smart Power – Channel Well (CWT)
Smart Power 2 – Channel Well (CWT)
True Power – Channel Well (CWT)
True Power 2 – Channel Well (CWT)
True Power Trio – Seasonic
True Power New – Seasonic
True Power Quattro – Enhance