Problem with runservice.exe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I had a program installed previously - and it worked fine. At some point, I
uninstalled it. Now I reinstalled it and it won't run. I receive the error
message: runservice.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Can
anyone help? I'm using XP Pro.
6 answers Last reply
More about problem runservice
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you're sure that it is spyware and the (anti-spyware) website leads me to
    believe it is, then just search for that filename on your computer and delete
    it. If it won't let you delete it because the file is in use, kill it with
    task-manager (ctrl-alt-del).

    "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

    > I had a program installed previously - and it worked fine. At some point, I
    > uninstalled it. Now I reinstalled it and it won't run. I receive the error
    > message: runservice.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Can
    > anyone help? I'm using XP Pro.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hold it on the deleting part. It might be a required file. Try
    run>msconfig>startup tab and uncheck it.

    "Homer" wrote:

    > If you're sure that it is spyware and the (anti-spyware) website leads me to
    > believe it is, then just search for that filename on your computer and delete
    > it. If it won't let you delete it because the file is in use, kill it with
    > task-manager (ctrl-alt-del).
    >
    > "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    >
    > > I had a program installed previously - and it worked fine. At some point, I
    > > uninstalled it. Now I reinstalled it and it won't run. I receive the error
    > > message: runservice.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Can
    > > anyone help? I'm using XP Pro.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    this is related to spyware.
    see http://www.2-spyware.com/file-runservice-exe.html

    george

    "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I had a program installed previously - and it worked fine. At some point,
    >I uninstalled it. Now I reinstalled it and it won't run. I receive the
    >error message: runservice.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
    >close. Can anyone help? I'm using XP Pro.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I downloaded the free version of SpyHunter - but it didn't find
    runservice.exe. What should I look for? Also, I have Spybot and Ad-aware -
    and they don't fix runservice.exe either. Can you give me any other help?
    Thanks......

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > this is related to spyware.
    > see http://www.2-spyware.com/file-runservice-exe.html
    >
    > george
    >

    > "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>I had a program installed previously - and it worked fine. At some point,
    >>I uninstalled it. Now I reinstalled it and it won't run. I receive the
    >>error message: runservice.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
    >>close. Can anyone help? I'm using XP Pro.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    [[Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. Look for a file
    called LicCtrl and make sure it is set to automatic. This must be enabled
    before the License part of the game will run.]]
    -----

    Startup entry for runservice.exe: LicCtrl

    runservice.exe description:
    eLicense, licensing system incorporated with some software and games.

    eLicense
    http://www.elicense.com/

    ---

    runservice.exe - Here is the scoop on RunService. The big question: what is
    runservice.exe and is it spyware, a trojan and if so, how do I get rid of
    RunService?

    runservice.exe (RunService) - Details
    The runservice.exe process is used with the eLicense copy protection system
    that is used with certain programs/games. If this process is not running,
    programs or games that use eLicense may not work. So, if possible you should
    leave this process running, unless it is causing problems for your system.

    runservice.exe is an application that does NOT appear to be a security risk

    The Spy Bot database currently registers runservice.exe to eLicense.

    This is part of eLicense licensing system.
    http://www.auditmypc.com/process/runservice.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BFtMd.16$Bs5.14@lakeread07,
    +++Bobby "O"+++ <rmo555@cox.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I downloaded the free version of SpyHunter - but it didn't find
    > runservice.exe. What should I look for? Also, I have Spybot and
    > Ad-aware - and they don't fix runservice.exe either. Can you give me
    > any other help? Thanks......
    >

    > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> this is related to spyware.
    >> see http://www.2-spyware.com/file-runservice-exe.html
    >>
    >> george
    >>

    >> "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> I had a program installed previously - and it worked fine. At some
    >>> point, I uninstalled it. Now I reinstalled it and it won't run. I
    >>> receive the error message: runservice.exe has encountered a
    >>> problem and needs to close. Can anyone help? I'm using XP Pro.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    look here http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-runservice.exe.html
    or here http://www.anti-spy.info/process/runservice.exe.html
    or here http://www.auditmypc.com/process/runservice.asp
    don't know if this applies to your situation
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/runservice/

    otherwise google for runservice.exe (where these came from too)