cheapest place to buy dslr bodies: Nikon D70s / Canon EOS ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 24, 2005 11:11:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Anyone has any suggestions on buying these camera bodies
for cheap?

D70s
EOS20d
350D

Here is the best i can find for now,

1] D70s - $529
(from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=27815...)

2] EOS350d - $569 (from:
http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=1...)

But usaphotonation is reputedly a very bad vendor, the next pricing I
have
is around $720.

3] EOS 20d - $900
(http://shop.vendio.com/jepcaru/item/788413937/?s=112185...)

Anyone has any better pointers to purchase these bodies?

Thanks,
--j
July 25, 2005 12:03:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
buy their cams from? What kind of prices.

Thanks,
--j
July 25, 2005 1:38:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
any problems with it.
July 25, 2005 1:51:03 AM

John wrote:
> Anyone has any suggestions on buying these camera bodies
> for cheap?
>
> D70s
> EOS20d
> 350D
>
> Here is the best i can find for now,
>
> 1] D70s - $529
> (from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=27815...)
>
> 2] EOS350d - $569 (from:
> http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=1...)
>
> But usaphotonation is reputedly a very bad vendor, the next pricing I
> have
> is around $720.
>
> 3] EOS 20d - $900
> (http://shop.vendio.com/jepcaru/item/788413937/?s=112185...)

Those prices seem WAY too good to be true. Which usually means...
Try Cameta Camera. They are all over Ebay and they are VERY
competitive and trustworthy.

Ben
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:55:35 AM

John wrote:
> I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
> I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
> any problems with it.

Unless you want to clean it yourself, you will need service. Some have
luck doing it, others with heavy hands such as myself, require
assistance.

Ben
July 25, 2005 3:19:05 AM

"John" <weekender_ny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
> buy their cams from? What kind of prices.
>
> Thanks,
> --j

Most people seem to like:
www.bhphotovideo.com (B&H Photo)
www.andorama.com (Andorama)
I've ordered from both of the above with good results (many more times from
B&H, though)

I've also had good luck with:
www.beachcamera.com (Beach Camera, they also do business as www.buydig.com)
www.flashpointcameras.com (17th St. Camera)

Not known for price, but good dealers nonetheless are:
www.calumetphoto.com (Calumet Photo)
www.porters.com (Porters Camera)

Some people shy away from:
www.focuscamera.com (Focus Camera, they seem to get it confused with Abe's
Camera)
but I've ordered some stuff (usually small stuff like Hoya filters) from
them with no problems at all

Hope that gets you started...of course YMMV and I'd always advise checking
www.resellerratings.com
first to see if your proposed vendor happens to be headed on a downward
spiral OR is drastically improving.

Sorry for commercial info...but maybe it'll cut down on some of the postings
that "ZYX Camera Shysters has
the latest Nikon/Canon dSLR for $1.50 including an 8GB CF card...please tell
me that it is a good deal and btw,
is shipping normally $3500?" sort of postings that seem to be SO prevalent
here.

George
July 25, 2005 4:23:55 AM

John wrote:

> I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
> buy their cams from?

"Pro's" usually buy a camera from a place that also provides service, not
the cheapest scam shop on the internet.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> 2] EOS350d - $569 (from:

http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=1...)

> But usaphotonation is reputedly a very bad vendor, the next pricing I
> have is around $720.

That price doesn't count because they'd never ship one out at that price.
They may as well quote you $3.50.

ef
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:54:52 AM

On 24 Jul 2005 19:11:07 -0700, "John" <weekender_ny@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here is the best i can find for now,
>
>1] D70s - $529
>(from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=27815...)

Oh look! Another for me to go get a picture of:

Registrant:
Chakie Chan
2677 Coney Island
Brooklyn, New York 11223

Administrative Contact:
Bellorusha, Sasha
2380 Coney Island Ave.
Brooklyn, New York 11223

I find on their site "Previously IBUYDIG.com"

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:44:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.

> with a P&S. And I wouldn't order a DSLR online to save 10% ... but
> maybe that's just me.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:44:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:52:53 +0200, "Manuel W."
<manuel*NOSPAM*@thunder.ch> wrote:

>"Mitchell Regenbogen" <mreg@panix.spam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
>> from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
>> retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.
>
>Thank you for clarifying that. What's still not clear to me is the word
>"anywhere": if I buy from an authorized US retailer that gives me a US
>warranty, can I send my lens/camera for repair to Canon/Nikon in Switzerland
>as well, or do I need to ship back to the US?
>
>-Manuel

You would probably need to ship it back.
However, there's an easy way to find the authorized answer: ask Canon.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I've bought two cameras from butterflyphoto.com and got both for
incredibly low prices...my dRebel w/ kit lens was $620 a few months
ago. Bear in mind, they WILL call you up after you place your order
and try to sell you $2000 in extras, but they take no for an answer
eventually. I'd just place my order on the phone in the first
place...and repeat after me: "no, I don't need that. no, I don't need
that. no, I don't need that..."
July 25, 2005 7:02:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <1122260629.931893.220430@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
weekender_ny@yahoo.com says...

>I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
>buy their cams from? What kind of prices.
>
>Thanks,
>--j

Calumet if mail-order, or Tempe Camera if local. Others really like Ad-orama
[?], and B&H, but I have never used them. Calumet has good, albeit not GREAT
prices, however they ALWAYS follow through, with no selling-up and good tech
advice. Same for the local shop, but you'd need to be in AZ/US to buy there.
Prices good, stock good, friendly, knowledgable salespeople.

Do a Google.Group search of this, and other photo-releated NGs, and see some
real horror stories and caveats on on-line photo buying. Many people also
suggest www.resellers.com for a check on the store/business.

Remember, especially with on-line buying the "best price" is not necessarily
the BEST PRICE.

Hunt
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:57:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

>I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?
> I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
> any problems with it.

I've got an old Minolta X-1 that still performs as it should. Still have a
Minolta 500si that also performs as it did when new (not that it gets much
use these days however)

"Most" camera's will perform as expected for years if treated well.

Toa
July 25, 2005 9:29:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

They look ok, but not the cheapest resellers :)
Thanks for the pointer thou, at least one can buy
at these baseline prices.

--j
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:55:05 AM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:23:55 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>> I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
>> buy their cams from?
>
>"Pro's" usually buy a camera from a place that also provides service, not
>the cheapest scam shop on the internet.

And there are non-scam online dealers that provide the same gear as a
local dealer at lower prices. My D70 Kit was $200 less.
July 26, 2005 2:41:45 AM

Stacey wrote:
> Oliver Costich wrote:

> >>"Pro's" usually buy a camera from a place that also provides service, not
> >>the cheapest scam shop on the internet.
> >

> > And there are non-scam online dealers that provide the same gear as a
> > local dealer at lower prices. My D70 Kit was $200 less.
>

> Sure but do you get to handle the camera in person? Do you get to see how it
> feels with different lenses and maybe take a few shots with the kit lens
> and a better one to see which is the better option for you? If there is a
> problem or you have questions about using it, is there someone who can help
> you and give you advice?
>
> Don't tell me you're one of those people that goes around to local stores
> to decide what to buy, then go online to find a "best price"!
> --
>
> Stacey
July 26, 2005 4:01:06 AM

John wrote:

> I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?

Sure, like being able to actually test different lenses to see which one you
need/want. Being able to get a "loaner" if you have a camera in need of a
warranty repair like lens front/backfocus adjustments etc. Lots of reasons
you'd want a friend at the place you buy your tools. BTW spending your
money with them makes them like you! :-)

> I used to have a P&S canon for 3 years (got stolen), and never had
> any problems with it.

And a "pro" isn't going to be using a P&S canon digicam.
--

Stacey
July 26, 2005 4:08:03 AM

Mitchell Regenbogen wrote:

> It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
> from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
> retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.

Yea but will you get "personal service" like a loaner or a free sensor clean
etc like you would if you are a good customer at a local camera store? The
store I deal with will let me take different cameras outside and shoot some
test shots on my own CF card with each to see how I like them. I was
looking at getting a good diopter for close up shooting the other day and
they let me try a few different ones on my camera to see which power one I
really needed. I suppose some people would do this at the local store, then
go home and shop online for the cheapest place to buy it? And then wonder
why the next time they go into the store they get "the cold shoulder"?

There is more to "service" than just being able to mail a camera back
somewhere for a warranty repair. Maybe you don't need this type of service
but I'm sure lots of pro's WANT this kind of service and wouldn't give this
up to save a few bucks on a camera.

--

Stacey
July 26, 2005 4:11:17 AM

Oliver Costich wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:23:55 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>> I guess the $720 is a more realistic price...Where do the pro's here
>>> buy their cams from?
>>
>>"Pro's" usually buy a camera from a place that also provides service, not
>>the cheapest scam shop on the internet.
>

> And there are non-scam online dealers that provide the same gear as a
> local dealer at lower prices. My D70 Kit was $200 less.

Sure but do you get to handle the camera in person? Do you get to see how it
feels with different lenses and maybe take a few shots with the kit lens
and a better one to see which is the better option for you? If there is a
problem or you have questions about using it, is there someone who can help
you and give you advice?

Don't tell me you're one of those people that goes around to local stores
to decide what to buy, then go online to find a "best price"!
--

Stacey
July 26, 2005 4:13:03 AM

Don Wiss wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2005 19:11:07 -0700, "John" <weekender_ny@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Here is the best i can find for now,
>>
>>1] D70s - $529
>>(from : http://www.turbobuys.com/index.php?action=item&id=27815...)
>
> Oh look! Another for me to go get a picture of:

LOL, I love your "Page of shame" of NY camera dealers. Some of those places
are just TOO funny!

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I've been told that here in New Zealand, Canon is a franchise - and as such
if the camera wasn't bought through Canon NZ then they won't consider
warranty issues on cameras. I'm also told that lenses are a different story,
and are covered.

Possibly (probably?) the same elsewhere?

"Manuel W." <manuel*NOSPAM*@thunder.ch> wrote in message
> "Mitchell Regenbogen" <mreg@panix.spam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > It's not a matter of buying online or not -- it's a matter of buying
> > from an authorized retailer. As long as you buy from an authorized
> > retailer with a USA warranty, you can get service anywhere.
>
> Thank you for clarifying that. What's still not clear to me is the word
> "anywhere": if I buy from an authorized US retailer that gives me a US
> warranty, can I send my lens/camera for repair to Canon/Nikon in
Switzerland
> as well, or do I need to ship back to the US?
>
> -Manuel

News==----
Newsgroups
=----
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:21:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> I've been told that here in New Zealand, Canon is a franchise - and as
> such
> if the camera wasn't bought through Canon NZ then they won't consider
> warranty issues on cameras. I'm also told that lenses are a different
> story,
> and are covered.

I purchased an Olympus P&S from an American supplier (it saved me a few
bucks at the time). But it developed a fault. Olympus NZ didn't want to
know about it so I had to send it back to USA for repair. Olympus USA did
the repair just fine but it took me 2+ months before I got it back.

Toa
July 29, 2005 2:19:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Today dell is selling eos 350d WITH lens for $789. Does that mean
that the price range of $720 for the camera body is not really fake?
Maybe, the price of the body should be cheaper? Around $650?
Any sellers you know at this price range?

Best,
--j
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:51:59 PM

John wrote:
> I guess. If you buy a nikon or canon, do you really require service?

Sometimes, yes. It also helps to have a warranty. A lot of the items
that are sold way below MSRP are sold that way because they were
imported by grey market. While there's a price advantage, most camera
manufacturers won't honor the warranty on a grey market item, and
sometimes won't even service such a camera out of warranty.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 29, 2011 7:47:48 PM

I love DSLR cameras so much! I shot my 48hr film on the T2i with the habbycam DSLR cage. Kept it super protected!

!