Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on building pc

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2012 2:39:47 PM

Hello, guys. I was wondering if it was a good time to build a gaming PC. (Please tell me if it would be better to wait)
I'll be using it mostly for mid- to high-level gaming. Here are the specs I'm looking for or have found so far: (btw, I am not tech-savvy)
Budget: $1000 ~ 1500
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz (will OC)
Motherboard: Looking for at least 2 PCIe 3.0 slot, and supports memory type DDR3-1600 or more.
Something like this: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard ~$200 (if there is a better deal than this, please tell me)
Graphics: Geforce GTX 670 or 680?
Which one is the better-bang-for-the-buck as a single card? (the price/performance ratio)
I also consider noise level, idle temp, full load temp.
Monitor will be 27" at 1920x1080 for now.
Cooler: Liquid. I am new to water-cooling so there are many concerns I have about it (like risk of freezing if left idle & no OC?)
I see claims of "zero-maintenance" like the Corsair Hydro-series. It seems too good to be true.
PSU: 850W? (In case I decide to SLI, will it be enough?)
Case: Full- or mid-tower?
Memory: Corsair 8gb ddr3-1600 or 16gb.
Internal Drive: SSD 128gb or 500GB HDD. (Is it true that SSD has less heat and noise than regular HDD?)

I want to make something that would be somewhat future-proof, if possible. (easily upgradable is what I mean)
Also, I'd like an estimate on the noise level and idle/under load temp of this entire system. Oh, and life expectancy of system as well. :) 
That's pretty much it. XD

More about : advice building

a b B Homebuilt system
June 13, 2012 3:18:12 PM

Now's as good a time as any.

CPU is a great choice.

MOBO I recommend ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

GPU GTX 670 is better for price/performance. Generally the lower the price the better the price/performance :p 

If planning on liquid cooling do it custom, do it properly right away.

Yeah 850W will suffice for SLI.

If space is not a concern IMO get the biggest case you can afford, they're much nicer to work with :lol: 

Yes, SSDs emit less heat and no noise. I recommend getting the SSD and a HDD for storage(now or later).
June 13, 2012 3:37:49 PM

A few companies that produce memory in forms of HDD and ddr3 have gone bankrupt or changed their business model - shifting focus to other products to sell, totally getting out of the 'memory arena'.

This is one of the causes for the increase in prices of various types of memory that you would have to purchase for your build. The increases are minimal, however, since they are basically free market there is no exact date/price point guarantee in the future.

Now is as good as time as any as the previous poster suggested. Just thought I would make you aware of how the prices have been steadily climbing.
Related resources
June 13, 2012 3:47:30 PM

c-n-c said:
Hello, guys. I was wondering if it was a good time to build a gaming PC. (Please tell me if it would be better to wait)
I'll be using it mostly for mid- to high-level gaming. Here are the specs I'm looking for or have found so far: (btw, I am not tech-savvy)
Budget: $1000 ~ 1500
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz (will OC)
Motherboard: Looking for at least 2 PCIe 3.0 slot, and supports memory type DDR3-1600 or more.
Something like this: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard ~$200 (if there is a better deal than this, please tell me)
Graphics: Geforce GTX 670 or 680?
Which one is the better-bang-for-the-buck as a single card? (the price/performance ratio)
I also consider noise level, idle temp, full load temp.
Monitor will be 27" at 1920x1080 for now.
Cooler: Liquid. I am new to water-cooling so there are many concerns I have about it (like risk of freezing if left idle & no OC?)
I see claims of "zero-maintenance" like the Corsair Hydro-series. It seems too good to be true.
PSU: 850W? (In case I decide to SLI, will it be enough?)
Case: Full- or mid-tower?
Memory: Corsair 8gb ddr3-1600 or 16gb.
Internal Drive: SSD 128gb or 500GB HDD. (Is it true that SSD has less heat and noise than regular HDD?)

I want to make something that would be somewhat future-proof, if possible. (easily upgradable is what I mean)
Also, I'd like an estimate on the noise level and idle/under load temp of this entire system. Oh, and life expectancy of system as well. :) 
That's pretty much it. XD

You have a good choice for the CPU and the MB, and for the Storage, I suggest you to buy SSD 128 GB SATA II 6Gb/s for Operating System and a 500GB HDD for data storage. For SSD, I Recommend Samsung 830 series and for the HDD, I recommend WD caviar black.
June 13, 2012 11:22:02 PM

Hello again. Sorry for late reply (I just woke up XD). Thanks for the helpful tips!
So, right now this is my set:
CPU: i5-3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Graphics: GTX 670
Memory: 16gb ddr3-1600
Drive: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW , & HDD 500GB 5400RPM

@FinneousPJ : "If planning on liquid cooling do it custom, do it properly right away"
What do you mean by 'custom'? Do you mean to say that self-setup is better than easy-install kits? If so, what should I get?

@aqe040466
It should not be an issue to use a lower-spec/cheaper HDD for the storage, right?

A few other things: for the GTX670, which manufacturer & model would be best?
For the 850W PSU. which manufacturer should I go with?
for the case, which manufacturer? Should I get with case fans supplied or buy a separate additional fan(s)?
And one last thing: "(like risk of freezing if left idle & no OC?)" someone please answer this question too.
Thank you for your suggestions. This time, I'm just gonna wait for reply (really quick responses in this forum :D )
a b B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2012 3:56:50 AM

Yes, that's what I mean re: liquid cooling.

For storage that 5400 RPM drive is fine, but should you run out of install space for games it's not going to be a great drive to install on. If, however, you're unlike most of us and actually finish one game before installing another it shouldn't be a problem :lol: 

I like Asus GPUs.

Cheapest of: Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Seasonic, XFX

I like Fractal Design cases. Other great manufacturers include Corsair, Antec.

I don't understand your "one last thing"
June 14, 2012 11:29:27 PM

c-n-c said:
Hello again. Sorry for late reply (I just woke up XD). Thanks for the helpful tips!
So, right now this is my set:
CPU: i5-3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Graphics: GTX 670
Memory: 16gb ddr3-1600
Drive: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW , & HDD 500GB 5400RPM

@FinneousPJ : "If planning on liquid cooling do it custom, do it properly right away"
What do you mean by 'custom'? Do you mean to say that self-setup is better than easy-install kits? If so, what should I get?

@aqe040466
It should not be an issue to use a lower-spec/cheaper HDD for the storage, right?

A few other things: for the GTX670, which manufacturer & model would be best?
For the 850W PSU. which manufacturer should I go with?
for the case, which manufacturer? Should I get with case fans supplied or buy a separate additional fan(s)?
And one last thing: "(like risk of freezing if left idle & no OC?)" someone please answer this question too.
Thank you for your suggestions. This time, I'm just gonna wait for reply (really quick responses in this forum :D )

For the GPU u you can buy Nvidia, for the PSU you can use Corsair, for the case you can use Cooler MAster PC cases. Usually the PC cse comes with all the fans you need. for the storage only yes you can use lower spec cheaper HDD.
!