Sign in with
Your question

New Rig, loud stock fan?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2012 10:07:22 PM

Can anyone tell me if I did something wrong on my new rig? I havent really messed with the bios, I installed windows, the drivers, and thats about it but ive noticed that the fan is really loud for a stock fan. it sounds like my old computers fan when i was playing a heavy game like bf3. idk if i should change a setting on the fan or something. But here are my computer specs

MSI 970A-G46 mo bo
AMD FX VISION 8120 8core at 3.1ghz stock oc'able to 4.2 I believe
8 gigs of ddr3 at 1600 mhz
Radeon HD 4670 (yes i know it will bottle neck my cpu, and i will buy a radeon hd 7000 series card)
a regular 7200 rpm hard drive 120gb for now. (will upgrade to a ssd and 1tb for storage in a few weeks.)
I hope some one can help me out on this. Thanks for reading.

More about : rig loud stock fan

October 13, 2012 10:10:08 PM

Your cpu fan? Or a case fan? Stock case fan are often loud or don't move air or even both..
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:10:13 PM

I forgot to mention, the heat. when it idles its at 20 degrees C, when i play games it goes to 30-39 degrees C , I know for a fact thats not hot but the stock fan is still very loud.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 10:12:46 PM

ArcticWonder said:
Your cpu fan? Or a case fan? Stock case fan are often loud or don't move air or even both..

cpu fan, The case didnt come with a stock case fan so Il add one in a bit. Hopefully that helps, and also the computer has good ventilation.
m
l
October 13, 2012 11:14:35 PM

You probably just got a crappy stock cooler, unlucky most likely. Those are really cool temps so that's all I can think of.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 11:23:25 PM

The stock fan that comes with stock heatsinks are usually made by delta, a company that makes fans that can chop your fingers off at full speed (not literally but can give you a nasty cut), your sensor for your CPU could be a little too sensitive or your fan is set to full speed somehow.

Check in the BIOS (can access it when you first turn on your computer when the manufacturer logo comes up, you press F10 or ESC or something along those lines) for fan speed control options.

Is your CPU fan 3 or 4 pin?
m
l
October 13, 2012 11:51:17 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
The stock fan that comes with stock heatsinks are usually made by delta, a company that makes fans that can chop your fingers off at full speed (not literally but can give you a nasty cut), your sensor for your CPU could be a little too sensitive or your fan is set to full speed somehow.

Check in the BIOS (can access it when you first turn on your computer when the manufacturer logo comes up, you press F10 or ESC or something along those lines) for fan speed control options.

Is your CPU fan 3 or 4 pin?

Hmm il check for the fan speed controll and post back what i get. And its a 4 pin so the fan should be adjustable.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 13, 2012 11:53:10 PM

Yes ,it should be in the BIOS, it might be able to be controlled using Speed fan (google it), i can't recommend it will work but it won't hurt trying.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 12:07:32 AM

This is very normal actually. My wifes PC has a Athlon II X2 but I gave her a Phenom II X4 stock fan (the one with the heat pipes) and it gets very loud when gaming. Its something with those AMD stock fans.

You could throttle it but then you might run into issues when it needs that speed.

My suggestion is to get a after market cooling fan as overall it will do a better job and be quiter without having to mess with any settings.
m
l
October 14, 2012 3:25:17 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
Yes ,it should be in the BIOS, it might be able to be controlled using Speed fan (google it), i can't recommend it will work but it won't hurt trying.

Hey dude i did what u asked, and got speed fan, Its saying that the fan is going at 4451 Rpm on fan 1. i thought they where stocked at 1200 rpm? idk that much about fans tho. Is that normal?
m
l
!