Solved

Question about rebuilding out of old system

So I'm rebuilding my computer but using a couple old parts such as an old 7200 RPM hard drive for extra storage, PSU, etc.

I'm adding almost everything else, including MOBO, RAM, CPU, GPU, even case, but also a SSD.

I want the SSD (256 GB Corsair) to contain the bulk of my programs including Windows 7. Can I transfer Windows 7 from the old HD to the new one after making the new build, or do you think something will go awry? I do not have a disc (online purchase) to make this more complicated. I want to do a clean install, since I'd like the machine to be as fresh as possible.

I'm considering buying a new copy of Windows 7 just to make it easier for the new build, but figure it's probably redundant.

Thanks so much, and feel free to redirect me if this is in the wrong place!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question rebuilding system
  1. Isthe setup in your signature your old one??
    Budget?
    It looks like the psu is fine but you will need a new win 7 copy

    Here is what I would do


    Proccessor i7-3820

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229

    Graphics card 6870

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

    case Cooler master cosmos ii

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119252

    mobo asus sabertooth

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

    ram 8 gb kingston hyper x

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104231

    ssd 256 gb ocz

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227781
  2. Best answer
    You're not going to be able to transfer the OS, so you will need a new Windows 7 Disc (or you could opt for the Windows 8 Release Preview).

    -Wolf sends
  3. Thanks guys for the constructive replies! My new build is similar to the one above, although I basically ripped it straight from the Performance Build in these forums (680 OC card, woohoo). I also got a fancy MOBO with Thunderbolt technology so I can maximize use of my Thunderbolt (mac) display.

    Cheers! Off to Best Buy.
  4. sirgrotius said:
    Thanks guys for the constructive replies! My new build is similar to the one above, although I basically ripped it straight from the Performance Build in these forums (680 OC card, woohoo). I also got a fancy MOBO with Thunderbolt technology so I can maximize use of my Thunderbolt (mac) display.

    Cheers! Off to Best Buy.

    Out of curiosity can you list all the parts you got
  5. Here it is:

    - CPU - Intel 3770K

    - GPU - EVGA 680 OC

    - MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM LGA 1155

    - RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16 GB

    - SSD - CRUCIAL M4 256 GB

    - Case - LIAN LI PC-B10

    Older pieces:

    - CORSAIR 750 W PSU

    - Thunderbolt Dislay (I use a MacMini server, too)

    - Optical drive and peripherals
  6. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    Isthe setup in your signature your old one??
    Budget?
    It looks like the psu is fine but you will need a new win 7 copy

    Here is what I would do


    Proccessor i7-3820

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229

    Graphics card 6870

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

    case Cooler master cosmos ii

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119252

    mobo asus sabertooth

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

    ram 8 gb kingston hyper x

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104231

    ssd 256 gb ocz

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227781


    Overall, this is a pretty terrible build. You have one of the most expensive CPU/Mobo combos money can buy, yet, your GPU is a last generation, mid-range model. You also picked one of the most expensive cases out there and (personally) I would be waiting a generation or two before buying an OCZ SSD.

    A more balanced build would be a good i5 (Sandy or Ivy) + Z68/Z77 board, a GTX 670, a less expensive full tower (~$100-150), and a Samsung 830 SSD. I could probably rearrange the funds from your build to make this happen too - so this build would perform better for the same $$.
  7. sirgrotius said:
    Here it is:

    - CPU - Intel 3770K

    - GPU - EVGA 680 OC

    - MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM LGA 1155

    - RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16 GB

    - SSD - CRUCIAL M4 256 GB

    - Case - LIAN LI PC-B10

    Older pieces:

    - CORSAIR 750 W PSU

    - Thunderbolt Dislay (I use a MacMini server, too)

    - Optical drive and peripherals


    This is actually an ideal system. Seems like the money went to the right places, and you didn't go overboard on any single part (maybe the mobo, but if you can afford it you at least had the CPU and GPU bases covered).
  8. Wolfshadw said:
    You're not going to be able to transfer the OS, so you will need a new Windows 7 Disc (or you could opt for the Windows 8 Release Preview).

    -Wolf sends


    Curious, is there a place to check what components might be compatible (or have drivers for) with Windows 8 RC?
  9. boiler1990 said:
    This is actually an ideal system. Seems like the money went to the right places, and you didn't go overboard on any single part (maybe the mobo, but if you can afford it you at least had the CPU and GPU bases covered).


    Thanks. I took a hard look at ratings and value scores on the TH charts here. I wanted close-to-best but not bleeding edge. I didn't have a hard budget, but didn't want to needlessly spend, either. I'm excited to put everything together. Oh, and I wanted everything to have 5 eggs on NewEgg. haha
  10. sirgrotius said:
    Curious, is there a place to check what components might be compatible (or have drivers for) with Windows 8 RC?


    I would think the only components you really need to worry about are the motherboard and GPU. Check the manufacturer web sites to see if Windows 8 drivers are available. Otherwise, the default windows drivers (for the motherboard, anyway) should be sufficient.

    -Wolf sends
  11. You should be able to save a little cash on your OS. If you purchased windows 7 online you own a single license to Windows 7, despite not having a disk, you should be able to download an iso image of the OS (from Microsoft, quite sure they have isos easily available somewhere, don't go somewhere shady).

    Once you have the iso image that is compatible with the license you purchased burned onto a DVD (or a thumbdrive), make sure you get the install-key printed out somewhere and go to town.

    No reason to buy your OS twice, Online purchases are not a 1 time use, they are just a way to reduce media cost.

    edit: Here are some instructions with links to doing this (I haven't done this myself, but it looks valid) http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html
  12. Best answer selected by sirgrotius.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Windows 7 Systems Product