Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming CPU

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2012 10:27:16 PM

Hello, lately i have been planning in upgrading my computer for gaming. So far i have gotten and fully installed a new power supply of 700 Watts and a new graphic card a HD Radeon 6870. Some friends have told me i could have gotten better things but sadly is a low budget.

I don´t know much about building, pieces and pricing and that´s why i´m asking you guys this. ¿What CPU i can get considering the low budget and works well along with my Graphic card and my motherboard a G41M-VGS3/G41M-VS3?

PD: My current CPU is a Pentium Dual Core E5700 3.0 Ghz.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I wanted to ask something else as well. When i changed my graphic card i noticed a huge difference in the FPS, but i´m not sure if there´s somethign wrong with it or it is just the CPU slowing down or causing the problems, anyway sometimes it drops down, a lot. I´m almost convinced that it is my CPU ¨bottleneck-ing¨ the graphic card.

More about : gaming cpu

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2012 10:33:28 PM

In actuality, the 6870 is a good graphics card. It's between a 7770 (The 6850, by the way, is better than the 7770), and a 7850.

I'd need to know your budget on your CPU, but since you used the question marks used in the spanish language (and mexican? Don't know about this one), I'm assuming that your either in Spain or Mexico, so I can't help you with prices where you are.

If you are in the UK, though, I can link you to good deals for good hardware, depending on your budget.
October 13, 2012 10:36:35 PM

I was actually planning in making the purchase throught Amazon. Eitherway the budget would be around $100 and $200 preferably under $150.
Related resources
October 13, 2012 10:37:53 PM

TRY AMD ONES ITS RECOMENDED THE BEST IN THE WORLD FOR GAMING
October 13, 2012 10:39:48 PM

IF INTEL GO FOR I5 2500K COS U CAN OVERCLOCK IT

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 10:44:09 PM

Your best bet is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and above, BUT I highly doubt you will find any CPU that your board supports on Amazon.

Ebay will probably be your only option.

Here's the support list for that board, though. Any of the Core 2 Duo's or Core 2 Quads will be a pretty nice upgrade (even if it's not the best idea to upgrade a system that old. It definitely isn't). http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=G41...
October 13, 2012 10:46:08 PM

IMTIAZ_BABA said:
IF INTEL GO FOR I5 2500K COS U CAN OVERCLOCK IT

I considered it, but because of the prize i would only do it if either i get lucky or some good deals pops out. I know i can´t get good ones for the budget i´m expecting to pay but can´t do much about it.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 12:53:26 AM

xa376 said:
AMD FX-6200 under $150 6-cores@3.8ghz and its also currently part of their latest CPU's unlike the Q6600 which is quite old.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

He needs something compatible with his motherboard...
October 14, 2012 12:56:15 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
He needs something compatible with his motherboard...

Seemed to have skimmed over that. Well now i would suggest replacing the motherboard but I know that is not within your budget. It seems that DJDe has your best option. Best of luck.
October 14, 2012 1:31:27 AM

Yes, i´m not planning in changing the motherboard or more likely, unable to.

The Core 2 Quad are actually very expensive. I´m even wondering how if my motherboard is so old it´s compatible with these CPUs (I´m jus asuming the prices has to do with the technology).
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 1:36:24 AM

rikimanu said:
The Core 2 Quad are actually very expensive. I´m even wondering how if my motherboard is so old it´s compatible with these CPUs (I´m jus asuming the prices has to do with the technology).

It's LGA 775, so there are quite a few CPU's compatible with it (especially that particular board). The problem is that everything associated with it is old, so anything that you can find brand new will be extremely expensive.

Look for used only. That's really the only option in your budget. I saw on Amazon that they had the Q6600's for $89.99 used (and can you almost definitely get them cheaper than that on Ebay).

Edit: Like I said earlier, just take a look here http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=G41... to see what is compatible with your board.

The only ones that are even worth your time and money, though, are the Core 2 Duo's and Core 2 Quad's. Nothing else it supports will be any better than what you have now.
October 14, 2012 2:02:57 AM

The upgardes to either one of those you suggested, how good would it be? Would it be enough to not worry about the games? (I´m not picky about playing in medium quality but the lag and the slow movements).
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 2:20:08 AM

A Q6600, in particular, would be a lot better than what you have now, at least. I'd say it should be ok for medium/high settings, depending on resolution (that has a lot to do with the 6870 too).
October 14, 2012 4:46:25 PM

Best answer selected by Rikimanu.
!