Sign in with
Your question

Need help pulling the trigger on my new ~2000$ build

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2012 4:47:45 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: aprox. this week

Budget Range: 2000-2300$ (buying in Norway, and estamating with a currency of 6 NOK to 1 $)

System: Gaming :p  (and surfing, playback etc...), and little to none editing of photos and videos...

Parts Not Required: I/O peripherals

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Using an combination of well known Norwegian sites (komplett.no, deal.no and dustinhome.no), don't feel like using foreign sites due to avaliability, custom and returns.

Parts Preferences: have very little personal experience to related brands, although my old fujitsu notebook have yet to let me down ;) 

Overclocking: want possibillity

SLI or Crossfire: want possibillity

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I have taken my good time to plan out this rig, and what i want is a rig able to play all the pc games in my dreams, looking gorgeous (finally moving away from my ps3 and 50+ games :p ), subsequently handle all other mundane tasks and last me 2+ year without replacing parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel pretty confident that the parts i have chosen will fill my need, but from my lurking around this forum I understand that the knowledge of the community "allways" improves an proposed build ;) 
Bellow I will write the different parts i'm planning on buying and why, and i will be very thankfull if you took the time to see if there is improvment to be made. Don't really care for fanboys, but I love people posting their experience with a product :D  As a side note the budget i provided previously is max i am comfortable with paying, so tips to shave off unnecessary expenses are not shun upon ;) 

First off the case:
Cooler Master CM storm trooper
Love the design (actually comfortable with such a size on the case), and price/properties aren't really against it :p 
don't know how interresting the link to where i'm planning to buy it is, but dropping it in anyway...
Storm Trooper
Price = 172$

PSU:
Corsair HX 1050W PSU
I know 1050W is VERY overkill, but the Corsair HX seems to be so good that no matter what i do later, this part will be the last thing to replace :o 
PSU
Price = 240$

MOBO:
MSI Z77A-GD55, Socket-1155
A little unsure about what mobo, but the MSI seems good and have all the features and a nice UI...
MOBO
Price = 207$

CPU:
I5-3570K
As I don't see myself doing any editing, this one i pretty much in the bag :p 
CPU
Price = 290$

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Good reviews emphasising bang for buck
RAM
Price = 65$

SSD:
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5"
recommended on Toms ssd guide
SSD
Price = 142$

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
Good personal experience and feedback on komplett.no
HDD
Price = 145$

BD-ROM:
SONY BWU-500S BLU-RAY
An BD writer from a well known brand priced right...
BD-ROM
Price = 142$

WLAN:
ASUS Wireless N 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI-Ex1 Adapter
WLAN
Price = 38$

Windows 7 Home Premium
OS
Price = 224$

GPU:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 / Asus GeForce GTX 670 TOP
This is where I know i need som guidance. Currently thinking about Zotac (NOT Amp version), as it is on sale for 500$, but i really adore the asus with its performance and silent nature
Zotac / ASUS
Price = 500$ / 600$

So this is blueprint 1.0 and i know a problem will be the range of shops avaliable for me, making it impossible for non-locals to give heads up on good deals and relate to the pricing level in Norway, but I will greatly appreciate any help given to me!

-Slappymoam
June 13, 2012 5:21:47 PM

I like all your choices. It is obvious that you have done your research. A couple of things I could suggest though.

You are right, the 1050W PSU is way overkill. The Corsair HX series also has 750W and 850W models. Looking at you MoBo choice, it seems you don't plan to go for tri-SLI and such. Even if you run that gtx 670 in SLI and throw in a bunch of HDD's and SDD's, those 2 will be able to handle them.

Also, I am wary about MSI MoBo because I heard in this forums that it is one of the manufacturers with the highest failure rates. I suggest looking at the Gigabyte z77x-ud3h or Asrock z77 Extreme 4.
Related resources
!