Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is resolution determined by the card or the screen?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2012 5:49:29 AM

My current tv is a vizio 37inch and for a while i've been using it for my laptop screen, and i've noticed my laptop performs better when not using my tv screen, and yes i keep the same resolution. I was wondering, why is that?
Also i'm planning on buying one of the new single core card kings either the 680 or the 7970, and my current max resolution with my old 5650 on this tv is 1920 x 1080, will that increase with a better card? or is it locked to my actual tv?
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 5:59:40 AM

treyvon said:
My current tv is a vizio 37inch and for a while i've been using it for my laptop screen, and i've noticed my laptop performs better when not using my tv screen, and yes i keep the same resolution. I was wondering, why is that?
Also i'm planning on buying one of the new single core card kings either the 680 or the 7970, and my current max resolution with my old 5650 on this tv is 1920 x 1080, will that increase with a better card? or is it locked to my actual tv?

TV's suck as computer monitors. When you take the same amount of pixels and make the screen bigger, of course it's not going to look good.
m
l

Best solution

a c 198 U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 5:59:48 AM

Think of it this way. Your TV probably has a higher resolution than the laptop screen. Think of the GPU as a car motor, lets say its a Honda Civic motor. If you stick a Honda Civic in a regular Honda Civic, its going to perform on par. If you put the motor onto a motorcycle, its going to be pretty fast. But if you put the Civic motor into a Chevy Tahoe, its going to have to try harder to move the truck.

Now, after typing that, I realize you said you keep it at the same resolution. It might just be the fact that it has to go through a port on the side of the laptop instead of the laptop monitor. That's a dang good question.

On your other question, the resolution is locked to the TV, so a 1080p TV can use a max of 1920x1080 resolution.
Related resources
April 17, 2012 6:02:34 AM

Okay can you guys recommend any good monitors then? nothing too fancy but i'd like to get higher than 1920x1080? (idc about 3d) maybe a nice g2g speed? Little bleeding.
m
l
April 17, 2012 6:14:50 AM

Best answer selected by treyvon.
m
l
!