Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Solved] New homebuilt, no POST, no video

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2012 5:35:49 PM

Hi everyone!

I am building my dad a new PC for father's day and have run into some issues. Here's the specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3 GHz
Cooler: Stock AMD cooler
Mobo: ASUS M5A97
RAM: Lexar DDR3 8GB 1333MHz
PSU: Coolmax V-600W
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
GPU: Nvidia 9800GT

The issue is that when I start up the PC, the lights and fans turn on, but there's no post beep from the speaker and no video output. I've tried everything from swapping out parts for known good ones (CPU, PSU, RAM), working through the tomshardware new pc troubleshooting list, to RMA'ing the mobo and breadboarding different boards. No matter what I try, nothing seems to get this pc to post and boot. I also tried resetting the CMOS based on the directions in the mobo's manual. My wife and I have built all three of the pc's currently running in our house, and we've never had an issue like this. Any help the community could lend me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
June 13, 2012 6:28:54 PM

Hello,

Have you tried a different GPU? I noticed the one you have is quite old in terms of computers.

Also what was your previous PSU? I never heard of "Coolmax V 600W", it sounds like a really cheap power supply (you should never skimp on a power supply).

Quality brand PSU's are: Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, OCZ.

One last question - what was the last thing you did on the computer before it died? Or was there some kind of lightning strike/brown out?
m
l
June 13, 2012 6:41:52 PM

Quote:
Have you tried a different GPU?
Yes, I've also tried a Nvidia GT 240

Quote:
Also what was your previous PSU? I never heard of "Coolmax V 600W", it sounds like a really cheap power supply (you should never skimp on a power supply).
Probably not the most amazing power supply, but we've used the same model in my wife's PC for years with no issues.

Quote:
what was the last thing you did on the computer before it died? Or was there some kind of lightning strike/brown out?
This is a new homebuilt PC, it's never booted properly.
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 7:21:53 PM

Ok.

Have you tried using one stick of RAM (also try 1 stick of ram in each dimm slot)?

What BIOS version are you using? I noticed 503 is the minnimum BIOS required for your CPU (although i'm guessing you already have a later BIOS than this).

I'm also doing searches on google for that exact PSU...so far there haven't been any reviews (or I just can't find them) and that's not a good sign.

You mentioned you tried breadboarding the computer - and it still doesn't work like that?

Is the motherboard currently in the case or out of the case?

If it's in the case - you didn't happen to put an extra standoff where it shouldn't be? That can cause a short and possibly not let your computer turn on.

Edit: Heres the toms thread on the coolmax V 600

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301015-33-gtx470-cool...

I would stay away from Coolmax in the future if I were you.

Edit 2: Here's a paperclip test to see if your PSU turns on properly

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Loqz-GAjcA
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:37:45 PM

Quote:
Have you tried using one stick of RAM (also try 1 stick of ram in each dimm slot)
I just tried running each stick in each slot seperately and it still didn't post.

Quote:
What BIOS version are you using?
It looks to be BIOS revision 1.02

Quote:
You mentioned you tried breadboarding the computer - and it still doesn't work like that?
Still didn't work that way.

Quote:
If it's in the case - you didn't happen to put an extra standoff where it shouldn't be?
The motherboard is currently in the case with only the 6 standoffs that the board requires, no extras.

Quote:
Edit 2: Here's a paperclip test to see if your PSU turns on properly
I just gave that a shot and it did turn on properly.

Thank you so much for your help! I've been trying to get this thing going for a week to no avail before even posting here. My wife and I just can't seem to figure it out at all. Could it be a failed part I can't really test for? Bad CPU or Mobo maybe? I'm at a loss.
m
l

Best solution

June 13, 2012 7:46:51 PM

Ok. We can at least eliminate a PSU problem.

Now it's just down to the other parts...CPU...mobo...GPU.

Can you try each part in the -non- working computer in one of your -working- computers? I'm not sure if all the computers in your house are the same but if they are:

Take out the CPU in the non working computer - and put it in the working computer. See if it boots up.

If it does - your CPU is fine.

Now try the same thing with the motherboard.
June 13, 2012 7:50:48 PM

Sure thing, I'll try installing the CPU in my current am3 system.
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:28:38 PM

Problem Solved!

Once I installed the new X3 into my current system and it didnt' boot, I found my culprit. Bought a new fx and it fired right up. Thank you so much for all the help, I wouldn't have figured it out without you!

Thanks again!
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:29:33 PM

Well, you didn't mention if you tried switching the videocard?

Sorry, it were already mentioned while I was getting up to this thread :) 
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:29:40 PM

It just sounds like a simple thing like a cable connected backwards on the CMOS needs to be cleared. Beyond that you probably just happened to get more than one bad part or they are just not playing nice together.

But yeah, what Chainzsaw said. Just use them in another machine until you find the bad one. Who knows, maybe even your HDD is causing this.
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:32:35 PM

Cool! Congrats! I hate computers! lol
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:32:40 PM

Best answer selected by bdehlin.
m
l
June 14, 2012 1:39:06 PM

So it was your CPU? At least you found the issue! Take care.
m
l
June 14, 2012 4:05:33 PM

Chainzsaw said:
So it was your CPU? At least you found the issue! Take care.

Thank you so much for all of your help. I finally have this thing running after 3 bad motherboards and a bad processor.
m
l
!