What are normal temps for Core i5-2600 3.10ghz

soofi

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi guys
i was wondering what are the normal temps for mentioned CPU?i noticed that my temp at idle is 50C and at stress 99C. is it fine. moreover, i am getting massive FPS drops while playing different games like one moment it is 0-10 and the next moment it goes to normal 60 to 70 at normal graphics settings.
my specs are

Motherboard: DH61WW
PSU: Cooler Master 600 watts
RAM: Corsair 4gb one module
GPU: HD6790 (temps: 40C at idle and 70C at stress)

Thanks in advance

Solution

honestly I have two of the TX3 CPU coolers, make sure you get dual fans and not just...

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
first off I think you mean i5-2400 @ 3.1GHz...
but anyways, yes, it's running ENTIRELY WAY TOO HOT..

and you RAM of one 4GB stick is not doing you any favors in terms of performance either...
besides trying to game with only 4GB it's one stick and it's running in single channel mode, you need two sticks and run them in dual channel mode.

but your temps are awful and need to tend to that first..
CPU cooler (hs/f) and some thermal paste is what you need or to check on if you do.

soofi

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
@proffet, sorry, my bad, its core i5-2400.well, RAM is working fine with every latest game till now but i gonna change it soon. I have standard CPU cooler that comes with the processor. i think its time to buy CPU cooler. will it do good for my normal specs pc?http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6740

@strife_ff7, its core i5-2400 not i7. and you mean that cooler which comes CPU?

@mocchan, what are stock settings? sorry, i dont know much technical sides.

Thanks all for replies. so it concludes that FPS are dropping because of over heating of CPU? GPU temps are fine?

PS: i got those readings using AIDA64 Stress Testing software.

Yes, your GPU temperatures are fine. You are most likely experiencing FPS drops due to your CPU throttling (it's reducing its own performance to prevent overheating).

Also, stock settings means it's how the factory shipped it (no tinkering or changing with CPU settings)

:)

soofi

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thanks man, appreciated. well, i didnt do anything with CPU settings since i dont know much about it. alright, can you suggest me any guide that how to clean dust from unreachable parts of accessories?, most commonly dust on cooler fans?since dust is also cause of overheating and i cant use electric blower, i have heard that it produces come kind of static charge or something like that.

I would recommend taking a look at the links in my previous post :) I would do those two first while also cleaning out the dust.

Just remove the Heatsink from your CPU and take a can of Dust-off (or any other compressed air) and just blow it out.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

honestly I have two of the TX3 CPU coolers, make sure you get dual fans and not just use the single.
it can run 2 x 92mm fans and comes with second clip to hold extra fan.
I have a TX3 on an i5-2400 and 3570K with dual fans, works like a more expensive piece.
I stand by it..

plus the i5-2400 is not a clock-able CPU so your good.
but that sock CPU cooler (hs/f) has got to go and some good thermal past is what you need.
AS5 (Artic Silver 5) or better in quality.

Solution