How future proof is my computer?

RareFormula

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
So this summer i built a computer just for gaming. At the time I was not thinking of future proofing it, which i think was a mistake. How future proof is it?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Memory: 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module

Vidoe Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - Single Card

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX

Power Supply: 800 Watt - Standard <---(Lil iffy on that one)

Hard Drive: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Windows 7 64bit
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If i forgot some info please tell me and ill add it asap. Thank in advance

pauls3743

Distinguished
Computer hardware is only as futureproof as the software allows. Noone really knows what software will be released in the next few years. As it is, you've got a pretty high spec machine and is in a great position to run software released in the next 3-5 years. If you don't plan on running newer software it will be okay as long as the components last.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
its pretty much as future proof as you can get atm what brand is your psu, 800 w is way to big for that system and if its a cheap one and want your system to last 3 plus years replace it or it may kill your mobo

There is no such thing as future-proofing your rig. Who knows what kind of hardware the next Crysis will require :lol: Though, in all seriousness, gaming standards/requirements change so fast you don't know.

However, I can easily see your rig being able to play games with most of Eye-Candy turned up pretty high for the next two years or so. You may need a bit more GPU horsepower down the road but that's easily cured with an SLI configuration ;)

On a side note, your PSU, as long as it's of decent quality, will not have any effect on performance. It will only give you the expandability factor (which will come into play if you wish to SLI in the future).

CynosureEPR

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I assumed when he was talking about future-proofing he meant for upgrades in the future.

As far as I know, there is only going to be one more processor worth having released in the LGA 1155 socket and rumor has it that the LGA 2011 processor is going to be better and will presumably have another run of processors after the Ivy Bridge-E.

You also only have 4 RAM slots, so in the future you will have to buy larger capacity single sticks and will eventually be maxed out (if things progress that far in the next couple of years which seems likely as Windows 7 + Vanguard can eat up my 8GB of ram within a few hours).

I'm behind on rumors, could you shed some light? Some links may be of some help as well :) I haven't heard of any new CPU's due for release on the 1155 platform. As much as I'm concerned, this socket is dead (in terms of upgrades).

As stated, there is no such thing as future proofing because new hardware always comes out and new games tends to push the performance level.

Your PC is considered "obsolete" as soon as you decide the performance is below what you want it to be. That can be tomorrow, that can be 3 years from now. It all depends on what your expectations are.