Sign in with
Your question

GTA 4 and Vram. 6870 1gb or 6870 2gb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2012 9:51:00 AM

Hi! So, I need help getting either a 1gb or 2gb xfx hd 6870. I plan on using it mostly for GTA IV with Icenhancer 2.0 and other visually straining mods. Ive seen that it uses around 1024mb of V-ram but I have also seen things where people play the game at 30+ fps when not recording fraps... Overall I am very confused and would very much appreciate an answer! Thank you!
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 12:14:34 PM

I would go for the 1GB and save more money.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 1:13:21 PM

GTA IV won't care for your GPU very much. My experience is with that game is that it will always have some kind of lag/choppyness, all the while sucking at graphics.

If I recall correctly, from the time I used to play this game, it was the CPU and memory that caused bad performance, not the VGA. The game is full of memory leaks, will easily eat out 6GB ram, and when your RAM is gone it will read from the SWAP file and cause performance to be insufferable. At that point I used to reset the game (usually took 30-60min).
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 5:24:04 AM

Murissokah said:
GTA IV won't care for your GPU very much. My experience is with that game is that it will always have some kind of lag/choppyness, all the while sucking at graphics.

If I recall correctly, from the time I used to play this game, it was the CPU and memory that caused bad performance, not the VGA. The game is full of memory leaks, will easily eat out 6GB ram, and when your RAM is gone it will read from the SWAP file and cause performance to be insufferable. At that point I used to reset the game (usually took 30-60min).

What cpu did you use then?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2012 6:10:00 PM

goodie1424 said:
What cpu did you use then?

First tried some time ago with:

C2D E7500
4GB DDR2
8800GT
Seagate Barracuda 500GB

Then again this year with:

i5 2500K
8GB DDR3
2x6870 1GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

About as crappy as the first time.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
April 18, 2012 6:16:21 PM

If you want to set the graphic quality and draw distance to as high as possible, then I recommend getting the 2GB version.

I played the GTA 4 with a Radeon HD 5850 1GB and I was only able to set the graphic settings mid-way (medium) before I ran out of VRAM. Also, I tried the Icenhancer 2.0 mod, but I got lot's of artifacts on the screen. It did not overheat my GPU, it just cause the game to display triangles, squares and other odd shapes that should not be there.
m
l
!