Computer comes on but doesnt do anything

Timmy_77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello,
i got a pc that my mom hasn't used in 2 years b/c it blue screened. I'm trying to fix it now. i turn it on and get power to monitor and pc but it doesn't do anything. what do i need to try?

G

if u can assemble pc, then remove all the parts, clean them up specially the gold contact points on ram , graphic card etc except the cpu socket. To clean the gold contact points use some eraser ( this one -->pencil and eraser) refit everything , apply thermal paste on the cpu and mount the heat sink. Check that all connector from power to other cables r all connected.
also check if the battery on ur mother board is ok. Also try to rest the bios by removing the battery or using keyboard short cut. Go to bios choose the safe /default option ( later on u can tweak all the setting according to ur needs).
Fire up ur system.

Also try to post the configuration of ur system to what ever extend u can identify.

if it hangs at the bios or vendor logo check to see that the hardd rive in spinning. if it feels like it not.you can unplug power from it and see if you boot up to missing boot device screen. if it boots to windows and hangs if you dont need the data off the drive i would use the pc resotre cd and put the factory image back on.