Split second freezes in every game

donmiq

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hi,

I've been having this issue for a while but nothing has helped so far. I have installed several different drivers and installed them completely clean. I have eliminated the use of any other background process and it still occurs. I have also forced triple buffering with nvidia control panel and d3doverrider as others have suggested. I have also disabled any power saving options in the bios for the cpu. No matter the game's graphic settings, this happens, so it's not a matter of a game being too taxing on my card.

The issue is this: whenever I play a game (it's hit or miss, sometimes happens sometimes doesn't) I have these split second freezes in frames where it looks as if it's skipping a frame. I have this issue whether vertical sync is on or off. This is not microstuttering because it doesn't happen really fast, rather very smooth and then all of the sudden a quick freeze; sometimes I can play for 10 minutes without the issue, and then it begins. When it starts, it freezes pretty consistently every few seconds, and is usually very timely and in rhythm (seemingly at exact increments). Otherwise, running at 60 fps is very smooth, but whenever this happens I notice the fps drops to around 59-58. I'd imagine I should be able to hold 60 fps with the lowest settings in Counter Strike: Source.

This is so bothersome to me because I don't know whether this is just something that happens, or if I have yet another issue to deal with. If anyone has any advice or questions, please let me know. I appreciate any input.

Thank you.

Specs:
CPU | [Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor]
Motherboard | [Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155]
Memory | [G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600]
Hard Drive | [Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM]
Video Card | [MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB]
Power Supply | [PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W]

Solution

Yup. Good info bro! Thanks! I've been having this "stuttering" issue when playing NFS Most Wanted on a brand new $2500 rig. The last time I had this issue, it ended up being a bad stick of RAM, and I was really...
Could be a power issue , have you tried different power cables from the power supply and you have tried reinstalling the game? Did you try running the game with one stick of ram (and then the other one)? Have you tried bumping up the cpu clock a bit ?

donmiq

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I just now tried the two other power cables and one stick of ram and the issue still seems to happen. I have reinstalled the game, and in addition to this, it happens in every single game I play. My cpu is at 3.7ghz right now.

Just to clarify, this isn't a terrible 30fps lag, it goes from 60-58 constantly, and this is when I see the stuttering. I'd imagine a 7 year old game on low settings wouldn't make my gpu sweat enough to not keep a constant 60.

liquorice

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi,

I am experiencing this problem too. I just bought a new computer(will try removing the memory sticks one at a time but memtestdid not find any problems with them). I haven't had the time to fiddle with the settings as much yet but as far as i can tell it freezes for a split second in every game. So my question is, did you ever resolve this issue donmiq?

donmiq

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I eventually found out that the cause of these freezes was a program that constantly monitored my CPU temp and reported it through an on screen display. I stopped using that but could still sense some freezes, so I closed MSI afterburner, and no freezes! I now use EVGA precision, even though I have an MSI gpu.

Hopefully this is the case for you. I still experience some freezing every now and then, but it's very rare. I'd rather it be smooth 100 percent of the time, but apparently that's asking too much.

Good luck!

liquorice

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Alright, I'm pretty sure that my problem is related to my HDD. Installed crisis2 on my system disk(ssd) and I am not experiencing any lagging even on harcore graphics mode. So problem solved i hope :)

corbryant

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Yup. Good info bro! Thanks! I've been having this "stuttering" issue when playing NFS Most Wanted on a brand new $2500 rig. The last time I had this issue, it ended up being a bad stick of RAM, and I was really hoping that wasn't the case here. =) I even noticed the mouse sticking for a split second when just working with icons on the desktop or anything else. Really annoying. I hadn't played any BF3 in the last couple of days but I bet that it's happening system wide if the mouse issue is related. I've just now disabled everything @ startup and I'm enabling things one at a time and playing a round of NFS. The issue was gone so I'm frickin' happy! I thought I was going to have to chase something down the whole xmas break. =)

For the record, I use CoreTemp and SpeedFan, one of which is the culprit for me. I've yet to enable those two but will test and update here once I talk to the vendor and find out what's up and if it can be fixed. I've even tried rolling the system back to a date WAY before this started, as well as installing my games and no luck until reading this post and killing the temp monitors.

I've just ordered the NZXT Sentry LXE External fan and temp monitor/adjustment touch screen. This thing is SLICK for $60 w/ shipping. (EBay or Wal-Mart online) 9ft cord, and easy to hook up. Nice touch screen to monitor temps/fan speeds and you can adjust them via the touchscreen. I think it supports 5 or 6 fans. I thought it was a really cool add-on and I've just gotten a $200 xmas bonus at work by means of a WalMart gift card so I had to get it. =)

-Cor

Update: I reinstalled both CoreTemp and SpeedFan this morning and the issue is gone.

Solution