Kbalz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello,

I have an Asus P5RD1-VM. The rig worked for about two years, then I had it in storage for two years while I moved. Today I attempted to fire it up, and no video is displaying. I have a cheap MSI video card. The DVI and analog port on the video card do not output video. Neither does the onboard analog video.

All case fans, CPU fan, PSU fan, Video Card fan, and the green light located on the mobo all turn on.

After much googling, I've done the following: Disconnected the harddrive, video card, dvd, fans, and memory and power on. I heard a long beep, and two short beeps. Asus site says this is memory issue, so I know the beep is correct. I re installed the RAM stick. The onboard video still does not display.

I then removed the battery, and followed Asus' instructions for battery CMOS reset (jumpers). No change.

Really unsure of what to try next. I can't even remember where I kept the tower while in storage, it may have been in a storage unit and those get really hot inside. My gut is telling me that the mother board is wrecked, but I thought I would try here for suggestions. Thanks,

-KB

if it was in storage long time the cmos battery may have died. i seen newer mb not post with a dead cmos battery. you can buy the battery at any store that sell watch batterys. also if you have a volt meter chech all the voltages on the ps and check that every plug in plugged in. you could have 8/4 pin power walk or the one for the video card.the heat could have dried the caps out on the ps or mb.

Kbalz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I attempted to let the battery charge, same result.

I've found a friend with a working mobo. Going to cross test my card and his card in each mobo - that should narrow it down.

Either way, I've discovered this tower is too underpowered to play Diablo 3 so I'm going to heavily upgrade the guts. I found a harddrive reader so I can recover files. Thanks all for suggestions,

-KB