large, blurry icons in taskbar and elsewhere

Yesterday I installed the trial version of JAWS 6.0 on my Windows XP (SP1)
computer. After the installation had completed, I was told I needed to
restart my computer. After I restarted, I found that many of my icons had
been made bigger. Basically, it is all the icons that are not on the desktop
or in the start menu. The desktop and start menu icons were unchanged, and I
can change their size at will through the Start Menu properties dialog box
and the Desktop properties dialog box. These dialogs do not affect the icons
I am having trouble with. All other icons (task bar, programs list, top left
corner of each window, list of wallpapers, list of attachments in my email
program, etc.) have been made about 50% larger and are very pixellated.

My company's computer admin has confirmed that there are no dialogs where I
can change the size of these icons. Some internal Windows file has been
messed with to do this. Any idea which one and how I can fix it to get back
my nice, smooth, small icons?

Thanks,
Zoe

"Zoe Gillenwater" <Zoe Gillenwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| Yesterday I installed the trial version of JAWS 6.0 on my Windows XP (SP1)
| computer. After the installation had completed, I was told I needed to
| restart my computer. After I restarted, I found that many of my icons had
| been made bigger. Basically, it is all the icons that are not on the desktop
| or in the start menu. The desktop and start menu icons were unchanged, and I
| can change their size at will through the Start Menu properties dialog box
| and the Desktop properties dialog box. These dialogs do not affect the icons
| I am having trouble with. All other icons (task bar, programs list, top left
| corner of each window, list of wallpapers, list of attachments in my email
| program, etc.) have been made about 50% larger and are very pixellated.
|
| My company's computer admin has confirmed that there are no dialogs where I
| can change the size of these icons. Some internal Windows file has been
| messed with to do this. Any idea which one and how I can fix it to get back
| my nice, smooth, small icons?
|
| Thanks,

Zoe,
This may help:

Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad,
then File -> Save As -> "Fix-Icons.REG",
then right-click "Fix-Icons.REG" -> Merge -> OK -> OK

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics]
"Shell Icon BPP"="16"
"Shell Icon Size"="32"