be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello,
My desktop keeps crashing randomly and powering off while it still puts out power to usbs but doesnt turn back on for several minutes. I have gone up a psu each time it crashes. The 2nd one was a 450 antec and lasted two weeks while the last one only lasted a week and is the antec 550 plus. When i brought it in they tested the 450 and they said it was dead and told me to check the grounds of the outlets in my apartment. Everything checked out but still exchanged to 550. I have the i3 with 8gb ram and a geforce gts 450. What should be the next step? I find it hard to find forums with my exact issues and have tried many solutions that did nothing

D

Deleted member 217926

A 450w Antec should have been sufficient for a GTS 450. Really a good 400w unit would work fine.

Are you sure the problem is a bad PSU? Did someone put the old one on a tester? How about this one?

Do you live in a really old building or somewhere that has frequent brownouts? If you have bad power at the wall then a UPS might solve your probems.

Have you checked your RAM? That is the number 1 cause of random crashes and restarts. Run memtest for 8 to 10 hours. Any errors at all mean a problem.

http://www.memtest.org/

You have to make a bootable CD to run it. You can use ImgBurn if you need a burner program to mount the Iso.

http://www.imgburn.com/

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
I had the landlord check the building and it all passed and weve never had a brown out. when it crashes it won't start back up until you unplug the power chord and plug it back in after a few minutes. i have two hdd in the computer can i put it to that?

D

Deleted member 217926

2 hard drives is no problem. I have 5 and an SSD in my computer. Hard drives only use about 8 watts so you don't need a larger power supply because of that.

D

Deleted member 217926

Hmmm. You could have a short somewhere I suppose. Something is wrong if you are frying good quality power supplies. That would be odd for a short to be killing power supplies though. Maybe try taking the computer completely apart and rebuilding it.

headloser

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Assuming theoretically it isnt due to a surge what else should i look for. It passed the ram/memory test. Temperatures are all normal. The hottest the gpu got in a test was 70c and it only crashes in games. AlsoThis computer was custom built by a private company to run fsx on optimal settings. If it just so happens its not the mobo and was a short, where could i take the psu to be repaired because so far they have been covered but this was the last one that would be.