The first two terrifying minutes

I've got a Radeon HD 5450 - 1 gb of memory - on an Asrock N68-S3 UCC with an Athlon X4 Quad Core 640
Drivers are updated, I'm sure.
The video card is brand new.
The whole OS (Windows 7 64 bit) is updated with all the upgrades avaible.

BUT

When I boot up the PC for the first time in a day and I try to open some windows or launch the browser, the machine freezes and I get this message:
Quote:
AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered


Sometimes, when I try to run a game, I also get a fantastic BSOD.

What is strange is that if I do not use the computer for like 5 minutes, I don't experience any problem: it works just fine. :heink:
8 answers Last reply
More about terrifying minutes
  1. What is your power supply?
  2. i think it could be very well driver related problem. is this happen after updating the driver or it did happen since you bought the card?
  3. most likely it's a driver issue...when this happens to me i boot in safe mode, remove the drivers and reinstall from scratch...reboot and everything works like it should...AMD is know to have driver issues, at times even nvidia has issues....no need to worry....if it was your power supply you would not even be able to boot at all since the card would not be able to initialize...hope this helps...the reason why i say that it's not your power supple is because your card only needs 19.1Watts to function properly, and AMD recommends a 400 Watt or greater for your whole system
  4. Try this:

    In the BIOS, disable the IGP.
    Boot windows into safe mode and uninstall all nVidia and ATI/AMD driver packages.
    Restart and reinstal the Latest AMD Drivers.
    As the 5450 has a max TDP under 20w, I do not think overloading your PSU vs only using the IGP is a major concern.
  5. If the video card is new, might as well send it back for the heck of it.

    I have an HD4830 that I am sure is going bad, I get occasional BSOD with ATI2MAG.sys and that same "driver stopped responding" issue. The funny this is it works best while playing games...new or old drivers never seem to help and it's always worse on Firefox.

    Do a memtest86+ too, just to be sure of that.
  6. I had a problem where my qpi voltage was too low and the only error I got was the same amd driver stopped responding that you are getting. The system didn't crash but the display driver kept crashing and occasionally I would get post beep errors which corresponded to system memory problems. So my problem had nothing to do with the video card or drivers it was insufficient qpi voltage to run my ram at 1866MHz but it was the same error you are getting. Just make sure the rest of your system is completely stable.
  7. kawininjazx said:
    Do a memtest86+ too, just to be sure of that.


    +1
  8. Quote:
    What is your power supply?

    I cant' verify right now his precise specs, but I'm sure it is a 400W model.

    Quote:
    i think it could be very well driver related problem. is this happen after updating the driver or it did happen since you bought the card?

    When I bought the card I installed the driver it comes with, since at that time I wasn't able to connect to the internet in order to download a new one. Considering that I was experiencing this problem even with that driver, I decided to install the new version, but the error is still here

    Quote:

    most likely it's a driver issue...when this happens to me i boot in safe mode, remove the drivers and reinstall from scratch...reboot and everything works like it should...AMD is know to have driver issues, at times even nvidia has issues....no need to worry....if it was your power supply you would not even be able to boot at all since the card would not be able to initialize...hope this helps...the reason why i say that it's not your power supple is because your card only needs 19.1Watts to function properly, and AMD recommends a 400 Watt or greater for your whole system

    Good to know! I did what you suggested (Removed the driver in safe mode and then reinstall it), but I'm still having the same problem.

    Quote:
    Try this:

    In the BIOS, disable the IGP.
    Boot windows into safe mode and uninstall all nVidia and ATI/AMD driver packages.
    Restart and reinstal the Latest AMD Drivers.
    As the 5450 has a max TDP under 20w, I do not think overloading your PSU vs only using the IGP is a major concern.

    Done, but, as I said before, it still does not work.

    Quote:
    Do a memtest86+ too, just to be sure of that.

    I'll try that.

    Here (http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-stopped-responding.php) it says that it can be related to the a specific Windows Update, but it only talks about Vista. Should I try to remove it even if I'm using Windows 7?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics