AMD's Socket M, AM2 to launch before June 30th

RichPLS

Champion
It will be interesting to see how in compares with Intels 9xx series on 65nm. Also, be interesting to see how quick Intel is to ramp up the MHz on the 9xx's with dual core 2x2MB cache on a 81mm die.
If it were not for the design requiring higher latency and longer pipelines than AMD, this chip could really fly, and still could if they can ramp it up to and past 4GHz.
It should OC well, should that is, also should have lower power and heat than the 8xx series.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I know this is probably provocation for another argument, but this would explain why AMD couldn't have launched in April as originally planned if the article said final samples won't be available until April. Production commencing in April/May is cutting it a bit close although if they aren't expecting overwhelming demands, the available volume will no doubt be enough. It's good that AMD is putting pressure on getting AM2 launched before Merom to get it established with consumers.

I think you said before that you doubted Conroe will launch at 2.67GHz but it has been confirmed by Intel as the E6700 and will be available in Q3.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29504
Woodcrest will launch even higher at 3GHz on a 1333MHz FSB as the 5160.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29510

It looks like AMD will have a few months lead on Intel, depending on how early AMD ships and when in Q3 Intel launches.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
think you said before that you doubted Conroe will launch at 2.67GHz but it has been confirmed by Intel as the E6700 and will be available in Q3.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29504
Woodcrest will launch even higher at 3GHz on a 1333MHz FSB as the 5160.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29510

I've read that since yesterday, and the real question here is when these chips will see the light of day??? :wink:

I still don't believe Intel would be able to release a 2.6GHz. The most they can launh is 2.16-2.2GHz. (I've read that on the Inquirer and in some other source which I gave as a link in some other thread).

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
We won't know until it comes out of course, but usually Intel doesn't announce prices, which they did for Conroe up to 2.67GHz, unless they are sure that the product will be available. I think prices are usually the last thing to be determined since they need to know production costs and yields of the finished product.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
If memory serves well it is stated that there should be a 2.67 at launch(along with lower clock CPUs).
Also,a 3.3 GHZ CPU will arrive later in the year or in early 2007.
Hope it pwns AMD cause i'd love to replace my future AMD chip and nvidia mobo with Intel(right now AMD is the only way to go unless you can affor EE).

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
If memory serves well it is stated that there should be a 2.67 at launch(along with lower clock CPUs).
Also,a 3.3 GHZ CPU will arrive later in the year or in early 2007.
Hope it pwns AMD cause i'd love to replace my future AMD chip and nvidia mobo with Intel(right now AMD is the only way to go unless you can affor EE).

Keep dreaming. :wink:

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Well,since only spoiled brets,i mean children have a tendency to cry i hope AMD will come up with a worthy competitor. Otherwise,the simple thought of little AMD fanboys like yourself whining because of this and because of that would be unbearable! :lol:
Kidding,don't take it seriously cause i'm not in the flaming mod today.(why should i be,it's free time(for me anyway 8) ))
P.S. And don't turn this into an AMD vs Intel thread. Intuition tells me there have been way too many threads of this type.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Well,since only spoiled brets,i mean children have a tendency to cry i hope AMD will come up with a worthy competitor. Otherwise,the simple thought of little AMD fanboys like yourself whining because of this and because of that would be unbearable!
Kidding,don't take it seriously cause i'm not in the flaming mod today.(why should i be,it's free time(for me anyway ))
P.S. And don't turn this into an AMD vs Intel thread. Intuition tells me there have been way too many threads of this type

If posting articles or personal thoughts that refutes any thing about Intel's upcomin processors makes me a fan boy, then, I'll continue being a fan boy. :wink:

And don't worry about me starting an A vs B thread, since that's not my style. If you've seen lately, all my threads are informative. It depends on some individuals to keep it that way. :wink:

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
In my humble fanboyish opinion AMD wouldn't exist now if Intel did lower prices 8 years ago. So AMD should be thankfull.
Hopefully,Intel will bring back AMD in its rightfull place during the fall of this year. Then we'll see Bullshiter converting to Intel-ism. :wink:
'AMD is able to deliver AM2 when they want"
See,only an AMD fan could have write that.We all now that AMD is always slow on research. Intel is already selling 65-ers, AMD is selling 90s.
Still,it's a miracle how they made an old dog to do tricks. Darn mem. controler! Can't blame the Net burst really.It had its days but it should have been retired one year ago!
Either AMD or Intel will win,doesn't really matter as long as we have good CPUs to buy. :D

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Man You sound like the Geeksquad in Best buy when you ask them if they know anything about Windows 64. They go That not out man. But it fun to tease them. Go Is there a windows 64 for dummys. Then they tell you it not out yet and you hand them the case of the oem verson of windows 64. Even the managers go huh how did u get that.

I dont care which computer is faster at the time. I will pick which one is cheapest and fastest in the long run. Even if Amd $200 More but in eletric bills you save $400 for Intel is power hungry.

Abraxas

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Aside from DDR2 what else will AM2 bring?

I have heard that the DDR2 really won't improve performance that much.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Aside from DDR2 what else will AM2 bring?

I have heard that the DDR2 really won't improve performance that much.

Well--it will, naturally, bring additional processors. But if you mean what will it provide as opposed to staying with 939? RichPLS hit it on the head I think. Should you wait for it? Maybe--but since even AMD's website indicates DDR3 memory will be around in late 2007 or early 2008 then I'd say go 939 now or wait till after AM2.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
In my humble fanboyish opinion AMD wouldn't exist now if Intel did lower prices 8 years ago. So AMD should be thankfull.

Thankfull??? 8O
WTF are you talking about here?
If I'm not wrong, AMD had 20% of market share during the K7 days.
It was sake of Intel's "good and honorable" practices that put AMD down in the processor battle.

Hopefully,Intel will bring back AMD in its rightfull place during the fall of this year. Then we'll see Bullshiter converting to Intel-ism.
Not probably, since I know that Intel's upcoming processor won't be that amazing against AM2 Athlons. If you look at Yonah, it didn't perform to peoples expectations since it didnt't beat an X2 3800 (if you look at Anand's review, it only won 3 or 4 tests, but that's all).

'AMD is able to deliver AM2 when they want"
See,only an AMD fan could have write that.We all now that AMD is always slow on research. Intel is already selling 65-ers, AMD is selling 90s.
Yeah, sure. It's like saying that more GHz makes your processor faster!
(Intel words a few years ago).
You'll be an @sshole to compare two different companies with different processes.
Anyhow, current 90nm Athlons are giving Intel's processors (which are based on 65nm) a real beating. Just look at the benchmarks. :wink:
Once AMD implements PD-SOI, the gap will widen even more.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I'm not going to comment on Yonah vs. X2 performance or Conroe vs. AM2 performance since we already know where each other stand.

However, I'm interested to know whether the launch AM2s will use PD-SOI. I know you posted that article indicating that the Opterons will launch with it, but I haven't heard any of the recent AM2 articles mentioning PD-SOI. It seems kind of wierd that Opterons would be getting this technology so soon as well as DDR2 800, because usually server processors are a technological step behind consumer desktop chips because proven, stable technology is more critical than utmost performance.

It would also be interesting to see how PD-SOI is implemented. The original SOI implementation was targeted specifically to increase clocking room rather than temperature and power, resulting in the Venice core being slightly hotter and drawing a bit more power than their Winchester counterparts. I would assume PD-SOI would be similarly focused on clocking potential since AMD wants to hit 3GHz and beyond.

I would hope that PD-SOI 90nm performs adequately since recent news by X-bit Labs indicates that the 65nm process may not be available until 2007 which is later than the previous late 2006 introduction date. 2007 seems like a reasonable figure considering that AMD has long quoted that 65nm production won't begin until late 2006.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060207225940.html

Imgnryflagdotcom

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Very Nice. Since I end school about June 26th, I'll go to work for the summer (2 months), and I'll have money for a serious rig, and couple months after M2 was released. i'll have huge number of options. Hopefully June 30th is the day, I wanna see those benchies

I end school the 26th too!

But my parents are gonna pay for my rig over the summer since I'm not old enough to get a job yet

TRENDING THREADS