Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Notebook display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2012 3:11:12 PM

I recently repaired an older Gateway Laptop MT6451 that had died on me. The system has a built in ATI Radeon 1150 Express chip with the most up to date drivers I can find. I first replaced the cpu without luck and then replaced the mobo. I got the laptop up and running. However, shortly afterwards the display shut off.
While it was still running I hooked it up to an external monitor and got a display there. After some fiddling back and forth, I got it so, it would give a dsplay from a cold boot, but wouldn't display on a warm reboot. I ended up reseating the cpu and adding more heat sink paste. I then booted up, got a display and left the laptop running for 24hrs. It was still running, still displayed and hadn't locked up. I rebooted and again on warm reboot no display.

If I leave to cool it will reboot with display. I'm thinking heat is causing something inside to expand enough to disconnect the built in display but really have no idea why.

More about : notebook display

Best solution

a b D Laptop
April 17, 2012 3:21:42 PM

take it apart and make sure the ribbon cable for your laptop display is secured in the slot properly
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2012 4:25:24 PM

It might be a good idea to clean out the fans and the airintake filters to make sure that it's being cooled properly.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 1:18:21 AM

inzone said:
It might be a good idea to clean out the fans and the airintake filters to make sure that it's being cooled properly.

That was all done when it was disassembled to replace the mobo.
m
l
April 25, 2012 3:47:52 PM

Best answer selected by spin498.
m
l
April 25, 2012 3:51:43 PM

alvine said:
take it apart and make sure the ribbon cable for your laptop display is secured in the slot properly

I reseated the ribbon and it seems to have done the trick.
m
l
!