Photos Downgraded By Transfer To Photo CDs

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 25, 2005 7:19:29 AM

My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.

I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! ) and was amazed - and
aghast - when I uploaded them to Kodak Easyshare for printing, to find
they recommended the maximum size print as 3" x 2" - I took a chance
and went ahead with an order for size 7"x5" anyway and they turned
out surprisingly well.

When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
settings.

It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
normal?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:19:46 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
> here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
> Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.

It always pays to be careful and check that files saved to CDs verify
exactly to match the originals *before* you ever delete anything. This
means loading every one in a slideshow program and seeing it load OK. It
is far too easy to have a disk where only the thumbnails work.

> I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
> she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! )

You might still be able to get most of them back with a proprietory
image recovery program like eg Photorescue. It is easy enough provided
that no extra images have overwritten the media yet and it is still
possible to get some of them back even if you have reused part of the
media. (Deleted doesn't mean destroyed until you overwrite the old data)

> aghast - when I uploaded them to Kodak Easyshare for printing, to find
> they recommended the maximum size print as 3" x 2" - I took a chance
> and went ahead with an order for size 7"x5" anyway and they turned
> out surprisingly well.

Complain to their so called customer services. They might admit to an
error. Downgrading images to sub megapixel size is just not acceptable.
Their operators are clueless. If you get no joy try Which consumers
services if you are a member.

> When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
> 400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
> XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
> Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
> settings.
>
> It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
> normal?

I don't know. I cut my own CDs as I don't trust Boots etc to do it
reliably. I did use Kodak Photo CD once long ago when it was good.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:37:57 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk writes:
>My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
>here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
>Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.

This is not a Kodak Photo CD. PhotoCDs have images at a resolution of
3072x2048 (6 megapixels) and come from a film scanner. (There are some
other ways to produce a PhotoCD but they wouldn't have been used here).

This must be just a CD-R of images produced by Boots.

>When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
>400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
>XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
>Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
>settings.

>It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
>normal?

It sounds like they dropped the resolution deliberately, but why remains
a mystery. It must be more work for them to do this instead of just
copying the images unaltered.

Dave
July 25, 2005 7:55:32 PM

On 25 Jul 2005 03:19:29 -0700, denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
>here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
>Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.
>
>I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
>she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! )

If she hasn't shot anything since, you can completely recover the
files from the XD cards without much hassle.

>When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
>400:

A true Kodak PhotoCD can be read in a number of different resolutions
- are you sure your software/you didn't just pick up the wrong one?

To check, take a look at how big these files are. PhotoCD images
should be around 5-6Mb, a 500x400 jpeg would be closer to 60Kb.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Greetings Denis,

Yikes that is not the correct size of the files from a Picture CD (not a
Photo CD). Try inserting the CD into your system and opening it with
Windows Explorer or My Computer. Click on the CDROM drive and the contents
of the CD will display. If it is indeed a Picture CD, then there should be
a folder called Pictures included. If not, look for any JPG files that are
on the CD and review. View the contents by 'Detail' and you will see the
actual size of the files that are on the CD. It may be that your software
was set to a certain resolution and so brought in the images as such. If you
saved them for uload that is what would be online for your use.

Check the CD to be sure of the original images. They should be .jpg files.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
> here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
> Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.
>
> I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
> she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! ) and was amazed - and
> aghast - when I uploaded them to Kodak Easyshare for printing, to find
> they recommended the maximum size print as 3" x 2" - I took a chance
> and went ahead with an order for size 7"x5" anyway and they turned
> out surprisingly well.
>
> When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
> 400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
> XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
> Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
> settings.
>
> It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
> normal?

July 25, 2005 7:58:20 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:58:19 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

> Yikes that is not the correct size of the files from a Picture CD (not a
> Photo CD). Try inserting the CD into your system and opening it with
> Windows Explorer or My Computer. Click on the CDROM drive and the contents
> of the CD will display. If it is indeed a Picture CD, then there should be
> a folder called Pictures included. If not, look for any JPG files that are
> on the CD and review. View the contents by 'Detail' and you will see the
> actual size of the files that are on the CD. It may be that your software
> was set to a certain resolution and so brought in the images as such. If you
> saved them for uload that is what would be online for your use.
>
> Check the CD to be sure of the original images. They should be .jpg files.

I went through the same process at Boots recently, and the file in the
Pictures folder are the correct size.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:14:18 PM

right, I agree.Dennis, why don't you just download your photos to your
computer, save them to your hard drive and then burn a cd?Even the smallest
hard drive today is capable of storing images in the number of tenths of
thousands, and a cd or even a dvd burner is considered almost a standard
peripheral.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
>
> > My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
> > here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
> > Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.
>
> It always pays to be careful and check that files saved to CDs verify
> exactly to match the originals *before* you ever delete anything. This
> means loading every one in a slideshow program and seeing it load OK. It
> is far too easy to have a disk where only the thumbnails work.
> >
> > I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
> > she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! )
>
> You might still be able to get most of them back with a proprietory
> image recovery program like eg Photorescue. It is easy enough provided
> that no extra images have overwritten the media yet and it is still
> possible to get some of them back even if you have reused part of the
> media. (Deleted doesn't mean destroyed until you overwrite the old data)
>
> > aghast - when I uploaded them to Kodak Easyshare for printing, to find
> > they recommended the maximum size print as 3" x 2" - I took a chance
> > and went ahead with an order for size 7"x5" anyway and they turned
> > out surprisingly well.
>
> Complain to their so called customer services. They might admit to an
> error. Downgrading images to sub megapixel size is just not acceptable.
> Their operators are clueless. If you get no joy try Which consumers
> services if you are a member.
> >
> > When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
> > 400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
> > XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
> > Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
> > settings.
> >
> > It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
> > normal?
>
> I don't know. I cut my own CDs as I don't trust Boots etc to do it
> reliably. I did use Kodak Photo CD once long ago when it was good.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:33:07 AM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
> here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
> Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.
>
> I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
> she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! ) and was amazed - and
> aghast - when I uploaded them to Kodak Easyshare for printing, to find
> they recommended the maximum size print as 3" x 2" - I took a chance
> and went ahead with an order for size 7"x5" anyway and they turned
> out surprisingly well.
>
> When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
> 400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
> XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
> Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
> settings.
>
> It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
> normal?

Hi,

Try a recovery program to get the original pix back from the "erased"
flash card. Do not let an outside party transfer your images to CD
unless you are absolutely sure of the quality of the info on the CD.
I've had CDs burned by dealers where the info then was barely enough for
4x6" prints. You are better off by far to put the original images onto a
hard drive,and then burning your own CDs.

Good luck with the recovery of your images.

Morton
July 26, 2005 6:51:10 AM

Thanks to everybody who replied.

The next thing I must do is to ask my daughter for her XD cards and try
to recover the original images.

Ironically I made up a 'dummy' photo order for 7x5 prints from Boots,
using the programme on their CD - against each photo was the comment
"print Quality will be poor".

I have sent an email to Boots asking for an explanation.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:27:14 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> Thanks to everybody who replied.
>
> The next thing I must do is to ask my daughter for her XD cards and try
> to recover the original images.
>
> Ironically I made up a 'dummy' photo order for 7x5 prints from Boots,
> using the programme on their CD - against each photo was the comment
> "print Quality will be poor".
>
> I have sent an email to Boots asking for an explanation.

Good luck. Don't assume that they know what they are talking about.

Jessops are somewhat better and have operators that understand the gear,
but I have never tried their optional CD service when using the Fuji
frontier print service. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown
July 27, 2005 6:35:52 AM

Well, I have egg on my face! When I opened the Boots image programme I
thought that the photos displayed were all that was there: I have now
discovered that High Resolution or Low Resolution are available -
obviously the latter was displayed by default and being unfamiliar with
Photo Cds I was unaware that these options would be available.

On switching to High Resolution the problem has been solved.

Many thanks to you and all who responded so quickly - I am now a wiser
man!
!