Building PC Noob Help Video Editing

Hi,

This would be the first time I venture to building a PC. I currently own a Alienware Area-51 ALX and I want to get something better I know most people would say I wasted my money in purchasing a Alienware but at the time I didn't know any better.

What I do:

I make videos which are record at 1080p format and are about 10-30 gb per 15 min clips. I then import this videos into Sony Vegas Pro 11 for editing. hardly ever add effects mostly only color correction. I do about 20+ videos per day so I need something reliable. because I like to record at the same time I render. Right now I render as mts2 which am able to render a 15 min video at about 13 min. I would love to cut this in half.

Programs used:
Sony vegas 11
all adobe programs
recording program (black magic or premiere)

Current system spec:

Intel Core i7 Extreme 990x
main board: 0XDJ4C
12 GB memory DDR3 samsung
nvidia geforce gtx 580
1 ssd as OS system and all programs are installed intel 520 series 240 gb
2 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 in Raid 0 setup where files get record to and render to.
2 OCZ Vertex 2 180 GB as storage

I was looking at this motherboard but wanted to get and advice due to it having thunderbolt.
ASUS P8Z77-V Premium

How does it work would I be able to use my graphic card?

Or am I fine with the system I have and need to update it?
10 answers Last reply
More about building noob video editing
  1. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  2. You don't need to upgrade your system. It's fine.
    Try upgrading the memory.
  3. upgrading a mobo will barely touch performance levels for its cost, unless its switching from a non overclocking mobo to an overclocking one.
  4. When you say upgrade " memory" which one do you suggest because I only have 3 slots available.
  5. well I purchased some corsair vengeance 12gb would they do the trick? Would I need to overclock them.

Am really trying to cut my rendering time in half so any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  6. No, they're usually the same. Try some 24 GB memory.
  7. I would be able to go up to 24 GB my motherboard only had 3 slots. If so which ones should I buy can you please provide me with a link. Thank you
  8. By memory in kits of 3x8GB.
  9. bossman101 said:
    I would be able to go up to 24 GB my motherboard only had 3 slots. If so which ones should I buy can you please provide me with a link. Thank you

i also have an pc with the 0XDJ4C mboard. it was advertised as having max ram = 12 GB ... has anyone attempted more (e.g. 8 GB sticks for a total of 24 GB)?

Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Video Editing Systems