Your question

AMD FX 6100

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
October 14, 2012 12:52:43 PM

Hello! I got a few questions on the bulldozer series CPU's.

First of all, Im buying this motherboard here:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD4167

It says that its got an AM3+ socket, however I did some research on the product, and on the detailed information it gives a list of supported CPU's.

Processor Socket Socket AM3+

Processor Supported
Phenom II X3
Phenom II X4
Phenom II X2
Phenom II
Phenom II X6
Athlon II X3
Athlon II X4
Athlon II X2
Athlon II
Sempron

So this is why I'm confused. As you can see, It has an AM3+ socket, which is the socket for a FX6100 CPU, But the FX6100 CPU isn't listen under it's compatible cpu list. Can anyone explain?

Edit: Are bulldozer cpu's any good for gaming? They're low in price on directcanada.com ($109 for a 6core)

Edit #2: What cpu is better for gaming? The AMD FX6100 6core or a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad core?

More about : amd 6100

a b à CPUs
October 14, 2012 1:28:09 PM

LoneNinja beat me to it :) 

I actually have this MB in my rig at work, I dont have a 6100 but I have a FX4100 in it and it runs like a champ.

as for gaming, Although I have never owned one myself, I am told the Phenom II chips have the edge.
If you are going to stick with the FX chips I would go with the 4100, it has less cores but it runs at a faster frequency and it takes to overclocking very well. The 6100 actually runs a bit slower and the realism is that most games probably wont even utilize all 6 cores. additionally I cant speak for the 6100 but I do know that the 4100 comes with a gorgeous heat sink. its not the one pictured on the product page, I actually returned the after market one I bought after seeing the one that came with the 4100.

as for the overclocking, it is very easy with the motherboard you have. the Control center utility makes it effortless to alter almost all aspects of the chip and even gives you control over fan speeds. Using the 4100 and the motherboard you have listed, I have overclocked to 4.4ghz .

good luck.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 14, 2012 1:36:15 PM

DHFF said:
LoneNinja beat me to it :) 

I actually have this MB in my rig at work, I dont have a 6100 but I have a FX4100 in it and it runs like a champ.

as for gaming, Although I have never owned one myself, I am told the Phenom II chips have the edge.
If you are going to stick with the FX chips I would go with the 4100, it has less cores but it runs at a faster frequency and it takes to overclocking very well. The 6100 actually runs a bit slower and the realism is that most games probably wont even utilize all 6 cores. additionally I cant speak for the 6100 but I do know that the 4100 comes with a gorgeous heat sink. its not the one pictured on the product page, I actually returned the after market one I bought after seeing the one that came with the 4100.

as for the overclocking, it is very easy with the motherboard you have. the Control center utility makes it effortless to alter almost all aspects of the chip and even gives you control over fan speeds. Using the 4100 and the motherboard you have listed, I have overclocked to 4.4ghz .

good luck.

So your certain that my motherboard will work with an FX4100? I'll compare the price of the phenom and the FX.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 3:05:38 PM

MRC390 said:
Did you bother looking at the link at my post?

if you scroll down it says all the compatible cpu's

I looked at the link to see the board, but are you telling me you trust a retailer to provide motherboard information over the manufacturer of that board? Retailers frequently print misguided or incorrect information, and you said you did research, not my fault you only researched the retailers product listing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2012 3:28:12 PM

MRC390 said:
Did you bother looking at the link at my post?

if you scroll down it says all the compatible cpu's

I have the board with an fx 8150 in it , works great , direct canada has a newfie putting up the board details , gigabyte site lists it as AM3+ , I take Gigabytes page info over direct Canada
m
l