Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! Power Off issues, could it be GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2012 6:09:27 PM

Hi,

i started to get power off issues with my PC before Xmas.

Spec was
i7-920 (no overclock)
MSI Eclispe SLI Mobo
12GB Geil DDR3-1066 RAM
1000W Akasa PSU
POV Nvidia GTX570
2x1TB Drive
1 x 2TB Drive
1 x 64GB SSD (Boot)

The mobo had a design flaw with passive cooling, found it on many forums, and if i took side off and blew a large room fan on it, then no power offs.
Power Offs occur while gaming, not while using PC normally.
CPU never got above 50 (noctua air cooler), GPU about 65 under load.
My room could get warmish too, but nothing crazy.

I was looking to change somethings anyway and do some overclocking so, replaced case with a Corsair 500R, much improved airflow. CPU cooler with a Corsair H100 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler. GFX card stock cooler with Artic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II cooler.

CPU doesn't get above 35 now, under load, GFX card 40 at idle but maxes out at 50.

However same issue reoccured, discussion with friends and some other forums, its PSU, must be right!!

So replaced it, (Yes i have more money than sense), got a brand new Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro. Guess what, still happening!!!

So i guess it has to be GFX card, but i have never seen a power off when they fail, artifacting or blue screen but not a power down. Despite me seeming like a desperate newb, i've been home building for ten years with no issues and im in IT for a living.

Any suggestions welcome. Im almost in tears.

More about : power issues gpu

April 17, 2012 6:16:31 PM

martinjwalsh said:
Hi,

i started to get power off issues with my PC before Xmas.

Spec was
i7-920 (no overclock)
MSI Eclispe SLI Mobo
12GB Geil DDR3-1066 RAM
1000W Akasa PSU
POV Nvidia GTX570
2x1TB Drive
1 x 2TB Drive
1 x 64GB SSD (Boot)

The mobo had a design flaw with passive cooling, found it on many forums, and if i took side off and blew a large room fan on it, then no power offs.
Power Offs occur while gaming, not while using PC normally.
CPU never got above 50 (noctua air cooler), GPU about 65 under load.
My room could get warmish too, but nothing crazy.

I was looking to change somethings anyway and do some overclocking so, replaced case with a Corsair 500R, much improved airflow. CPU cooler with a Corsair H100 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler. GFX card stock cooler with Artic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II cooler.

CPU doesn't get above 35 now, under load, GFX card 40 at idle but maxes out at 50.

However same issue reoccured, discussion with friends and some other forums, its PSU, must be right!!

So replaced it, (Yes i have more money than sense), got a brand new Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro. Guess what, still happening!!!

So i guess it has to be GFX card, but i have never seen a power off when they fail, artifacting or blue screen but not a power down. Despite me seeming like a desperate newb, i've been home building for ten years with no issues and im in IT for a living.

Any suggestions welcome. Im almost in tears.

Oooops, forgot to mention Mobo replaced with Asus Rampage II as well.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 6:23:15 PM

Yes GPU's can do it, Basically when a computer starts fouling up its a wierd annomally. Kinda like the lights start flashing on and off the sinks in the house start cutting on and off and the car alarms in the garage go off.... Hope that cheer you up.

Now your Graphics card can do it. But it could just be a simple driver fix. I had a PNY GTX 550 ti cause my computer to constantly cut off. temps were fine, but turned out to be my power supply couldnt handle it. ANd funny thing, it only happened in gaming. idle never had a problem. So check your drivers if thats not it come back here or PM me. Were gonna get this fixed don't worry!
Related resources
April 17, 2012 6:30:35 PM

Check capacitors on graphics card and motherboard. There might be one or more failing capacitor. You can tell it with bulging out, or already burst head.
April 17, 2012 6:34:27 PM

MKBL said:
Check capacitors on graphics card and motherboard. There might be one or more failing capacitor. You can tell it with bulging out, or already burst head.

Yup checked that, all seems good on GFX card and mobo. Sorry should have said, no bulging capacitors.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 6:47:23 PM

MKBL said:

I second that approach (though it wouldn't occur to me if it hadn't been mentioned), if you've got a bad cap that is shorting out, your PSU maybe shutting itself off to prevent damage to the system. If you've got a gimpy graphics card around, swap it out and see if you still have the problem over a few days time.

Also, don't feel bad about no being able to fix it; because more than likely your issue is lack of resources to properly troubleshoot everything; and these are the kinds of problems that in the end you may never know what caused it.
I once had a computer back in college that would blue screen for 5 minutes when ambient temp was less than 60deg F and it had been sitting idle. I literally kept a blanket over it in the winter; to this day I still don't know what the root cause was, or even what part it was for sure (I had swapped some out, but it never went away until I replaced everything but the case and drives); it's just one of those weird issues (probably a manufacturing defect) that is too intermittent and uncommon to ever solve without having a duplicate computer to swap parts between and isolate the issue.

(P.s I'm a computer Engineer, and I was up till 2 am last night because I was inserting an imaginary command line argument into robocopy in an attempt to move my windows users folder off my SSD, I nearly threw the PC out the window before deciding to go to bed)
April 17, 2012 6:50:58 PM

Its just very very frustrating. Im an Enterprise Infrastructure Architect and design million pound server\blade\storage\virtualisation solutions and this has been my biggest technical heacache for years. Sods Law.

Reckon your right, just borrow a GPU and see if it still happens. **SIGH**
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 6:57:30 PM

Another thing you could try is replacing fans (CPU and case) if one of your fans has a tendency to short out, it could cause the issue. (cheap electric motors ftw).

Have you tried a different CPU at all? Seems unlikely, but could simply be defective and worsening. Same with drives (but at that point it's really just grabbing at straws)
April 17, 2012 6:58:26 PM

Try to borrow a PSU as well.

Actually when the same thing happened to my 2nd desktop (1st one had bad capacitor on graphics card), first I replaced CPU cooler, which solved the problem. The next time a few month later, this time I replaced GPU. 3rd time a year later, I briefly thought about replacing PSU, but instead decided to build a new system, because I didn't want to repair it again. However, if your system has still more life worthy of such effort, especially with 920, I think it's worth trying. Good luck.
!