xkecco

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello guys.

I have a P8P67-M PRO Mobo and an i5-2500k running at @3.30Ghz (Stock) with the stock fan.

Yesterday I decided to update my bios from 0901 to 3603, there were no problems after the update since I played an heavy game smoothly.

But this morning I left my PC on idle while I was AFK, and when I came back there was a warning saying the CPU was at 70C°.

I instantly turned the PC off, then I went into the bios and I noticed that the temperature was slowing going down to 50C°. I left the PC for like 5-7mins in the BIOS, and the temperature were always like 48-52C°.

Afterwards, I ran Windows and downloded various CPU temperature-detecting programs (such as Speccy, RealTemp, CoreTemp), and they were detecting the same temperatures as the ASUS Utility (AI Suite II).

When I turned the PC on, the temperatures were like 82C°, and then went down to 47-52C° idle. I decided to run an heavy game and the temperatures went up to 82C° (that's to mean a 25-30° jump) in like 10 seconds. I was like WTF?

I turned the pc off again, even if I realized there must be something wrong with the sensors hoping that CPU is running fine. Went into the BIOS again, the temperatures were going down. I decided to set the CPU Fan speed as "turbo", increasing the rounds from 1600rpm to 2000), after that I ran windows and the temperatures had the same charateristics as previous ones.

Ran the game again, for like 20 minutes, no shutdowns, no freezes, no bsods, no delays, CPU % as usual, but still I had the 82C° warning for the whole period of time. Quitted the game, the temperatures went back to 47-52°.

I really think that updating the BIOS messed up the sensors or something. What do you guys think?

I as well thought of downgrading the BIOS manually by using AFUWIN, but it's risky and I don't want to break my Mobo. There's no possibility of downgrading the Mobo version by ASUS Utilities, since it doesn't allow you to get back to older stable version if you have already a stable version (that's to mean not beta) which is newer.

Thank you for your help.

socialfox

Distinguished
Typically Bios updates correct mistakes and errors on motherboards, sounds to me it may actually be running at those temperatures. What is your cpu temperatures using HWmonitor (quite accurate for temps) and I would reccomend you take the heatsink off, dismount the fan and give it a good clean with compressed air or you could even wash it (make sure to dry it after), to make it better you could even sand your heatsink down with at LEAST 400 grit and then 600 grit. You could do 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1600 and 2500. Your goal is to get a very smooth finish so it makes the best contact possible with the cpu. If money really isnt a factor then just go buy a good cooler like the hyper 212.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007

TRENDING THREADS