Change Command prompt

Under Windows XP, service pack 2, I want to change command promt.
to include computername and drive and path.

The key starts at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment
Since I have no PROMPT, I right click on Environment, New key, type in
PROMPT, Go to the Right Pane, and add [%COMPTERNAME%]$S$T$P$G.

I reboot the name and nothing happens.

What is wrong?

thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about change command prompt

    Later,

    I change the right click on environment new key to right click on
    environment and then String Value, Prompt etc and now all but
    %computername% works.

    "David Sherman" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >Under Windows XP, service pack 2, I want to change command promt.
    >to include computername and drive and path.
    >
    >The key starts at
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    >Manager\Environment
    >Since I have no PROMPT, I right click on Environment, New key, type in
    >PROMPT, Go to the Right Pane, and add [%COMPTERNAME%]$S$T$P$G.

    There's a U in "computername".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Thanks for the correction.

    Even when I add the U, it sttill doesn't work.

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:03:27 -0500, Stan Brown
    <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    >"David Sherman" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >>Under Windows XP, service pack 2, I want to change command promt.
    >>to include computername and drive and path.
    >>
    >>The key starts at
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    >>Manager\Environment
    >>Since I have no PROMPT, I right click on Environment, New key, type in
    >>PROMPT, Go to the Right Pane, and add [%COMPTERNAME%]$S$T$P$G.
    >
    >There's a U in "computername".
    >
    >--
    >
    >Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    "David Sherman" <dshermin@ameritech.net> wrote:

    | >Under Windows XP, service pack 2, I want to change command promt.
    | >to include computername and drive and path.
    | >
    | >The key starts at
    | >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    | >Manager\Environment
    | >Since I have no PROMPT, I right click on Environment, New key, type in
    | >PROMPT, Go to the Right Pane, and add [%COMPTERNAME%]$S$T$P$G.
    | >
    | >I reboot the name and nothing happens.
    | >
    | >What is wrong?
    | >
    | >thanks
    |
    | I change the right click on environment new key to right click on
    | environment and then String Value, Prompt etc and now all but
    | %computername% works.

    Start
    Run
    HH.exe "ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm"
    Enter
    Prompt

    .... does not mention %COMPTERNAME% as an option.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Under prompt - optional items included in [brackets] can be used.

    So my job is determine of %computername% is an optional item.

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:54:09 +1000, "a nonymous"

    >"David Sherman" <dshermin@ameritech.net> wrote:
    >|
    >| >Under Windows XP, service pack 2, I want to change command promt.
    >| >to include computername and drive and path.
    >| >
    >| >The key starts at
    >| >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    >| >Manager\Environment
    >| >Since I have no PROMPT, I right click on Environment, New key, type in
    >| >PROMPT, Go to the Right Pane, and add [%COMPTERNAME%]$S$T$P$G.
    >| >
    >| >I reboot the name and nothing happens.
    >| >
    >| >What is wrong?
    >| >
    >| >thanks
    >|
    >| I change the right click on environment new key to right click on
    >| environment and then String Value, Prompt etc and now all but
    >| %computername% works.
    >

    >Start
    > Run
    >HH.exe "ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm"
    > Enter
    > Prompt
    >
    >... does not mention %COMPTERNAME% as an option.

    SERENITY C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy>set prompt=%computername% %prompt
    %

    as a startup bat.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "David Sherman" <dshermin@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:63r601pojd5an07jo7qo5n8degdg7oeam9@4ax.com...
    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > Under prompt - optional items included in [brackets] can be used.
    >
    > So my job is determine of %computername% is an optional item.
    >

    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:54:09 +1000, "a nonymous"
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >>| I change the right click on environment new key to right click on
    >>| environment and then String Value, Prompt etc and now all but
    >>| %computername% works.
    >>

    >>Start
    >> Run
    >>HH.exe "ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm"
    >> Enter
    >> Prompt
    >>
    >>... does not mention %COMPTERNAME% as an option.

    "David Sherman" <dshermin@ameritech.net> wrote:
    | Thanks for the tip.
    |
    | Under prompt - optional items included in [brackets] can be used.
    |
    | So my job is determine of %computername% is an optional item.

    No.

    <quote>
    Formatting legend
    Format Meaning
    Between brackets ([]) Optional items
    </quote>

    .... relates to ...

    <quote>
    Syntax
    prompt [text]
    </quote>

    .... which means that any text after "prompt" is optional.

    For example, both of the following commands are valid:

    PROMPT
    PROMPT [%computername%] $T $P$G

    One way to set Environment Variables is:

    Control Panel
    System
    Environment Variables

    "User variables for <-user->" -or- "System variables"
    Variable Value
    PROMPT [%computername%] $t $p$g

    | >|

    "a nonymous" wrote:
    | >Start
    | > Run
    | >HH.exe "ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm"
    | > Enter
    | > Prompt
    | >... does not mention %COMPTERNAME% as an option.

Configuration Windows XP Microsoft Customization Command Prompt