Sign in with
Your question

Blown i7-965...what do?

Last response: in CPUs
October 14, 2012 9:08:35 PM

i recently posted about selling an itel i7 extreme computer....some of you might remember it.....turns out.....the processor is f***ed. i called intel and they said the warranty is voided because i was not using 1066MHz ram....i was using 1333. they said because you were using that ram you caused the processor to be incapable of reading the memory cache.

so i called a friend and he said. even if you proved your case they wont replace it. so i am stuck to buying a F***ing brand new 800$ processor.

or am I?

i was looking on tiger direct for a new processor and i found this..............

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

its a intel xeon with the same socket. i dont care how much of a downlgrade it is.

all i want to know is. is it able to run my games just as well as my 17 extreme?

your responses are very important

More about : blown 965

a c 159 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 9:28:54 PM

I would check your local craigslist and anandtech's for sale forum; they may have some deals. I actually bought a 920 bare cpu two years ago from a guy who needed rent money and didn't realize how expensive the motherboards were at the time. Here's a possible newegg combo if you want to change to a newer cpu; you can sell your old board to help pay for it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to overclock, a "k" series cpu and z77 board will cost you $50-75 more. The parts I linked will work fine with four sticks of your 1333 ram. You shouldn't have any warranty problems with Intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2012 9:34:00 PM

Any LGA1366 processor will be excellent for gaming duty. ANY of them no matter the numbers. They are the same chips that are binned differently due to quality requirements.

Get the cheapest LGA1366 cpu that you can find and overclock to 3.8-4.0ghz and you'll have near equivalent power to the latest generation processors in gaming.
m
l
Related resources
a c 170 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 9:38:57 PM

SpaceJamTartzV3 said:
i recently posted about selling an itel i7 extreme computer....some of you might remember it.....turns out.....the processor is f***ed. i called intel and they said the warranty is voided because i was not using 1066MHz ram....i was using 1333. they said because you were using that ram you caused the processor to be incapable of reading the memory cache.

so i called a friend and he said. even if you proved your case they wont replace it. so i am stuck to buying a F***ing brand new 800$ processor.

or am I?

i was looking on tiger direct for a new processor and i found this..............

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

its a intel xeon with the same socket. i dont care how much of a downlgrade it is.

all i want to know is. is it able to run my games just as well as my 17 extreme?

your responses are very important

Xeon processors typically do not work in consumer motherboards. Consumer processors work in server/workstation motherboards but not the other way around.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2012 9:39:42 PM

Processor speed is really too low on the Xeon to be a good processor for gaming. Why not just buy a new socket 1155 cpu and mobo? Be cheaper than trying to buy a new i7 extreme.
m
l
a c 170 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 9:42:14 PM

A new i7-960 is only around $300 on some auction sites. You'd be hard pressed to find it in stores though
m
l
a c 309 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 11:46:15 PM

As far as I know, using 1333 ram will not damage a cpu. Only if it was over volted past the upper voltage specs would it cause permanent damage. Can you try your cpu with supported ram at the proper voltage?
m
l
a c 170 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 11:55:03 PM

geofelt said:
As far as I know, using 1333 ram will not damage a cpu. Only if it was over volted past the upper voltage specs would it cause permanent damage. Can you try your cpu with supported ram at the proper voltage?

Nehalem only has native support for DDR3-1066, running DDR3-1333 on it is technically overclocking and some techs use this as an excuse to refuse a warranty replacement.

The idea that you need to increase the supply voltage to damage an integrated circuit is a load of crap. A higher switching speed increases dynamic power dissipation beyond that specified by the manufacturer. This can and will shorten a chips life.
m
l
October 15, 2012 12:14:20 AM

i called intel and they said the warranty is voided because i was not using 1066MHz ram....i was using 1333. they said because you were using that ram you caused the processor to be incapable of reading the memory cache.

^lol that bull crap.. someone is having their way with you... You need to re-contact Intel support and speak to a supervisor.. cause that's bogus info.
m
l
!