Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire 7950 OC or Reference 7970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2012 10:39:07 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a new card, and after a bit of research I've decided on either the Sapphire 7950 OC or a reference 7970. I'd like to make it clear that I do know that the 680 is better.. but it is NOT £60 better. I also do not play any PhysX games, so I have decided on an AMD card. I'm just not sure which one :/ 

The 7950 OC is £330, and the 7970 is £370. I know that the 7950 can be overclocked to perform pretty close to the 7970 but I don't really like overclocking.. it's what caused my 4870 to pop last year. :/ 

I'm buying a card with the intention of keeping it for at least two years without adding another in CFX, while being able to max out at least the next generation of games (i.e Crysis 3) with AA and all the bells and whistles at 1080p, with a good framerate. (40+FPS) My main concern about getting a 7950 is that it might be a hindrance should the next generation of games be very demanding, and just £40 more could have bought me something that had the edge to handle them.

I'm not concerned about noise (I wear a headset, and if I was I wouldn't have bought a HAF X) nor am I about power consumption. I have an adequate PSU (XFX 750W) and everything to handle either of these cards, I'd just like some insight into how much faster the 7970 is, and if it's worth £40 more. The 7970 is not out of my price range, but I don't have money to waste either.

I would most appreciate any advice somebody can give, as this has been playing on my mind for some time now. I'm waiting for AMD's "Three for Free" games promo to come over to the UK anyhow, so I've got plenty of time to make a decision.

Thanks very much for reading! :) 
April 17, 2012 10:46:29 PM

Have you checked the prices again? There was a substantial price drop.
April 17, 2012 11:14:33 PM

well if you don't intend to overclock i'd get the reference 7970 since there prices have dropped.

but i would suggest you overclock at least some on the 7950, i overclocked mine to the 7970's clock speeds. reviews that clock them at the same speed only see a 5% increase with the 7970.
!