Very old board. onboard ethernet just died. any suggestions?

aspartame

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello

I have a very old mobo - a winfast foxconn 6150k8ma: http://www.seenpc.com/images/43155592.jpg

It has 1 pcie 1.0 slot and 3 standard PCI slots

This board is from 2006 and has never given me any problems whatsoever despite being on 24/7 since 2006 (believe it or not)....until now.

Today my onboard Ethernet outlet died so I am currently using using my wireless connection via netgear USB wg11t...however I am now on the prowl for a pci network / rj45 ethernet card

I currently use my pcie slot for my graphics card so I can't use the pcie...I need to use a regular pci slot

But all I can find are newer cards, pci 2.2, 3.0, etc....these cards don't look like they will fit in my motherboard's older PCI slot....so I assume the newer PCI network cards like say, off newegg are out of the question?

Any help is appreciated, THANKS

Solution
First, PCI 1.0 devices are expected to work in PCI 2.x slots and vice-versa, although some cards/chipsets may have interoperability quirks.

Second, PCI 1.0 is a 15+ years old standard so your 2006 PC is pretty much certainly using v2.0/2.1 of the spec.

As far as "not ever getting the same performance goes", you obviously aren't aware that the majority of motherboards implement onboard networking using a PCI or PCIe Ethernet controller.

The only difference between on-board and add-on is the physical location of the controlelr IC which has little to no impact on performance other than a slight latency penalty from PCI bridge. If you use an add-on GbE PCI card, performance should actually be much better than your on-board networking.

aspartame

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello

Thank you for the reply

The onboard ethernet has a short in it or something. There were no driver conflicts or anything as far as I could tell...I did some troubleshooting before realizing what seemed to be the problem. ..did tons of virus/malware scans also...everything came up clean.

I could use the PC for anything except the internet..the second I'd load a browser and the port had to get to work, it would immediately make a screech/hissing type sound and the computer would just power off...nothing about listed in the event logs or anything afterwards so I am convinced the port is damaged and shorts out the rest of the board when put to use. Took me a whille to pinpoint exactly where the low sound was coming from, first I thought it was the PSU, than the processor, then the HDD...but it's definitely the ethernet socket. No internet activity = no shut down! :\

All I would need is a 10/100 ethernet PCI card?? Maybe I can get one on ebay...will the speeds be just as good as the onboard ethernet I had or would I even be better off getting a usb Ethernet jack?

thank you

EDIT: sorry I did not see the newegg link you posted! I was looking at that exact card earlier but did not think it would work?? it is PCI 2.2

InvalidError

Titan

PCI cards can handle 100Mbps easily, as would an USB2 Ethernet adapter. Pick whichever you want.

aspartame

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Which will come the closest to the speeds of my onboard ethernet port that is now dead? From what I can gather, my speeds won't ever be the same again now that i'm not using the onboard ethernet, is this true?

Also for the record could you tell me if this card would work in my board that has pci 1.0 slots, it's a 2.2 pci card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180026

Hi :)

No that's rubbish...

You can buy 150 mb and 300 mb usb wifi dongles... my shops sell them...

How many mb is your Internet connection?? 20mb , 50 mb ?

You see my point ?

All the best Brett :)

InvalidError

Titan
First, PCI 1.0 devices are expected to work in PCI 2.x slots and vice-versa, although some cards/chipsets may have interoperability quirks.

Second, PCI 1.0 is a 15+ years old standard so your 2006 PC is pretty much certainly using v2.0/2.1 of the spec.

As far as "not ever getting the same performance goes", you obviously aren't aware that the majority of motherboards implement onboard networking using a PCI or PCIe Ethernet controller.

The only difference between on-board and add-on is the physical location of the controlelr IC which has little to no impact on performance other than a slight latency penalty from PCI bridge. If you use an add-on GbE PCI card, performance should actually be much better than your on-board networking.

Solution