What do you have to do when you have a front panel connecter but for a different

salazarmiguel12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello,
I just recently bought a gigabyte motherboard and I hooked everything up but, since the case is an old sony vaio computer I don't know how to connect the front panel wires. They are different in position on the connection and once I plug them into my gigabyte motherboard the computer does not start up. Do I need to rewire them to the connector?

inanition02

Distinguished
Well the gigabyte mobo instruction book will have a pin out of the motherboard connector (or it may be printed on the board itself). For the case connector, you'd have to look for a sony support guide - it's unlikely that they publicly release that information since they want to keep you buying replacement parts from them.

How much experience do you have in re-wiring?

Also, did you check the specs on the OEM PSU? Most of them aren't very good...

To rewire is easy :)

You just need to use a small knife to lift small tabs(on the plastic) and pull the wires out. once that is done, you can place them back in to work with the new board.

removeconnectorop3.jpg

connectorsremoved.jpg

The most easy way is to follow the wires to the front of the case to see what connects to what. Then with the gigabyte book, you can get the new pinout.

Something like this(but not always the same).
fpanel.jpg

inanition02

Distinguished

I would check the specs on the PSU before you do anything - is it even enough to support the new system you're putting in the box?

Also, re-wiring isn't hard...if you have the pinout from the case. Without that, it'll be frustrating trial and error...