What is the top GPU available for my build.

Hello all,

Conflicting information leads me to ask the fine community here at TH. I seek confirmation that my current setup can handle the new gen of GPU's, specifically top tier pci-e 3.0 cards without any performance interference.

Mainboard : Asus M4A89TD PRO USB3

Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3200MHz

Hard Disk : ADATA S596 Turbo ATA Device (128GB)

Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Physical Memory : 8192MBDDR3-SDRAM

Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL U2711

Power: Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-730SS Power supply - 730 Watt

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Budget: Unlimited

Thank you in advance for any constructive suggestions/comments/input you take the time to post.
5 answers Last reply
More about what build
  1. Your power supply probably won't be able to supply enough amps for many cards.
  2. There will be no slow down with a Radion 7970 or GTX 680. Today's GPU's do not max out the bandwidth on PCIe 2.0 x 16 yet.

As Gary mentioned, you will want to replace that psu thoug.
  3. While Raidmax are not exactly known for make good quality PSUs, it should be able to handle a GTX 680.
  4. Your PSU is fine, even for a pair of 7970's (not sure about the 680). While split 12v rails are a poor idea, each does have 24a (12v*24a = 288w), so each can handle a 7970 on it's own (a 7970 draws ~200w under load).

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/8

You can thank the low power consumption of the 7000 series for that, though. I agree with the folks here that your PSU could use replacing.
  5. Wow, thanks all for the quick responses!

I'm happy to hear that the PSU is the weak link, easily remedied.

Thanks again!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics