Sign in with
Your question

gripe about LCD monitors

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 7, 2003 6:47:35 PM

I've got a "unique" gripe about LCD monitors, and wonder if others notice it also...

After awhile staring at my LCD monitor my eyes seem to get very "tired" of the brightness, but if I turn down the brightness, it only gets too dark & doesnt fix the problem. So apparently the problem is not the brightness, but probably some other quality of the light coming from the LCD. My model was one of the most popular models at compusa (envision 15") at the time.

I'm trying to find out if there is a name for this type of phenomena that LCD's have. And I want to know if more expensive monitors don't have this quality. Unfortunately, comparing the LCD monitors at a computer store doesnt help answer the question, because I only notice it after staring at the same screen for awhile (several minutes at least).

I don't experience this problem staring at CRT's, so I know it is a quality of the LCD, so I want to find out if its a known phenomena so that I will be able to find a better LCD monitor without it.

Has anyone else besides me noticed this? Any ideas on monitors that look just as "soft" as a CRT?

More about : gripe lcd monitors

June 7, 2003 6:57:06 PM

I know exactly what you mean- this is one of the reasons I use CRT. What happens is that the crystals can never fully block light, thus there is leakage and this problem. It kinda translates into a contrast issue as well, since with super high contrast, high brightness is not needed, but that's what LCD's rely on. Sharp lcd's have a an adjustment system for the brightness of the backlight, if that helps you at all.

Hilbert space is a big place.
June 7, 2003 7:07:46 PM

Envision is a crappy monitor wether it is a LCD or CRT.

Some people say LCDs are easier on the eyes, some say CRTs. I use a good quality LCD at work and use a good large quality CRT at home. I find CRTs better for my eyes but that might be also because my CRT use is for fun and the LCD is for work!

Another thing, dont shop at CompUSA. Find a place with a better selection of monitors,[like your local computer store, independent] take them home and try them out. When buying LCDs you cant skimp on the price like you can with CRTs. Usually a cheap good CRT is better then a cheap LCD. I think CompUSA has a 2 week return policy, I would return it for a better LCD and check it out. IF you still dont like the new LCD, exchange for a CRT.

Also, for a online store or just great information, try
<A HREF="http://monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">http://monitorsdirect.com&lt;/A>

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
Related resources
June 7, 2003 7:09:26 PM

thanks for the thoughts, flamethrower... so do I understand correctly that the brightness control on most LCD's only adjust the image brightness (by changing pixel behavior) but don't actually adjust the brightness at the source (the lamp that produces the backlight)?

In that case, I assume the manufacturers specs should list whether there is a separate brightness control for the backlight...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by redss on 06/07/03 03:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 7, 2003 11:11:33 PM

The actual brightness control is controlled by making the backlight flicker and thus making it seem less bright, or analog dimming. What I meant about light leakage is that when screen is black you'r still getting a tremendous amount of light, and that's where the problem comes from.

Hilbert space is a big place.
June 7, 2003 11:23:53 PM

hmmmm, reducing the brightness by making the backlight flicker... maybe thats what's the problem is. I had thought that LCD monitors were flicker free. My envision monitor has a brightness & contrast adjustment, set about halfway.

So when you say that Sharp monitors have a brightness control, does that mean they reduce the light intensity, or do they also use flickering? (reminds me of how microwave ovens cycle on/off to achieve lower power levels.)
June 8, 2003 4:54:57 AM

Not too sure on the specifics of the sharp lcd's and how they do it to be honest, but I do beleive it's actually dimming the backlight..

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 06/08/03 00:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!