gc83 or sierra card ...can I just slip my sim card outa my..

Would I need separate service and such or will I be able to just slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83 or Sierra card and be up and running? I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to the cards too??
8 answers Last reply
More about gc83 sierra card slip card outa

    noeone@nowhere.com wrote:
    > Would I need separate service and such or will I be able to just slip my
    > RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83 or
    > Sierra card and be up and running? I have a data plan on it... or is
    > there some kind of "locked" feature to the cards too??

    Have a look at http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/index.htm
    I think he moves his phone SIM to a GC83.

    --
    ---

    In <g_RJe.571300$cg1.173344@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 08 Aug
    2005 23:34:36 GMT, <noeone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Would [a] I need separate service and such or will I be able to just slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83 or Sierra card and be up and running?

    >I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to the cards too??

    The card should work with your existing data plan if it's [b1] unlocked or
    [b2] locked to Cingular.

    Hello John,

    I would like to ask if you know whether or not the GC83 will work as a fax
    modem for outgoing faxes?

    Thanks,
    James Ayton

    > In <g_RJe.571300$cg1.173344@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 08
    Aug
    > 2005 23:34:36 GMT, <noeone@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Would [a] I need separate service and such or will I be able to just
    slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83
    or Sierra card and be up and running?

    > >I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to
    the cards too??

    > The card should work with your existing data plan if it's [b1] unlocked or
    > [b2] locked to Cingular.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    A GSM phone has no real dialup modem, just a sort of virtual modem which
    makes a connection to a carrier's IWU (Inter Working Unit), located in some
    service center. The IWU has the actual modem that can make analog data calls
    and/or fax calls over the PSTN (public switched telephone network). If the
    carrier doesn't provide an IWU, or if your account isn't provisioned for CSD
    (Circuit Switched Data), then a GSM phone cannot make data and/or fax calls.

    Regardless, my recent tests suggest that Cingular has turned off IWU support
    for faxing, making this a moot issue for any GSM phone.

    In <ARRLe.13660$XL3.9654@bignews3.bellsouth.net> on Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:02:58
    -0400, "ja" <__jame_sayton@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Hello John,
    >
    >I would like to ask if you know whether or not the GC83 will work as a fax
    >modem for outgoing faxes?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >James Ayton

    >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >> In <g_RJe.571300$cg1.173344@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 08
    >Aug
    >> 2005 23:34:36 GMT, <noeone@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would [a] I need separate service and such or will I be able to just
    >slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83
    >or Sierra card and be up and running?
    >>

    >> >I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to
    >the cards too??
    >>
    >> The card should work with your existing data plan if it's [b1] unlocked or
    >> [b2] locked to Cingular.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    >> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    > Regardless, my recent tests suggest that Cingular has turned off IWU support
    > for faxing, making this a moot issue for any GSM phone.

    That was pretty much the answer that I got when I called Cingular. They
    won't do faxes via my tethered Motorola V551 phone, but I wasn't sure about
    a GC83 card.

    If eFax did pay-as-you-go faxes, that would be fine. I don't want to
    subscribe, though.

    ---

    In <ddqrgf$1hj$1@blue.rahul.net> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:47:27 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@XReXXgc83X.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >> Regardless, my recent tests suggest that Cingular has turned off IWU support
    >> for faxing, making this a moot issue for any GSM phone.
    >
    >That was pretty much the answer that I got when I called Cingular. They
    >won't do faxes via my tethered Motorola V551 phone, but I wasn't sure about
    >a GC83 card.
    >
    >If eFax did pay-as-you-go faxes, that would be fine. I don't want to
    >subscribe, though.

    I do pay-as-you-go fax with Fax1.com

    > I do pay-as-you-go fax with Fax1.com

    12 cents a page outbound is a lot less than I expected for a pay-as-you-go
    service. Is that it? Do you have to subscribe to the inbound fax in order
    to send? The inbound fax1.com is a subscription, the inbound efax is free.
    Outbound fax1.com is cheap, outbound efax is a subscription.

    Using both services from either vendor costs money, pairing the two sounds
    nearly free.

    --
    ---

    In <ddr0mo$6bk$1@blue.rahul.net> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:16:08 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@XReXXgc83X.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >> I do pay-as-you-go fax with Fax1.com
    >
    >12 cents a page outbound is a lot less than I expected for a pay-as-you-go
    >service. Is that it?

    Yes.

    >Do you have to subscribe to the inbound fax in order
    >to send?

    No.

    >The inbound fax1.com is a subscription, the inbound efax is free.
    >Outbound fax1.com is cheap, outbound efax is a subscription.
    >
    >Using both services from either vendor costs money, pairing the two sounds
    >nearly free.

    I do indeed pair them.

Cingular SIM Card Internet Service Providers