gc83 or sierra card ...can I just slip my sim card outa my..

Would I need separate service and such or will I be able to just slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83 or Sierra card and be up and running? I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to the cards too??

noeone@nowhere.com wrote:
> Would I need separate service and such or will I be able to just slip my
> RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83 or
> Sierra card and be up and running? I have a data plan on it... or is
> there some kind of "locked" feature to the cards too??

Have a look at http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/index.htm
I think he moves his phone SIM to a GC83.

--
---

In <g_RJe.571300$cg1.173344@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 08 Aug
2005 23:34:36 GMT, <noeone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Would [a] I need separate service and such or will I be able to just slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83 or Sierra card and be up and running?

>I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to the cards too??

The card should work with your existing data plan if it's [b1] unlocked or
[b2] locked to Cingular.

JA

Hello John,

I would like to ask if you know whether or not the GC83 will work as a fax
modem for outgoing faxes?

Thanks,
James Ayton

> In <g_RJe.571300$cg1.173344@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 08
Aug
> 2005 23:34:36 GMT, <noeone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >Would [a] I need separate service and such or will I be able to just
slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83
or Sierra card and be up and running?

> >I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to
the cards too??

> The card should work with your existing data plan if it's [b1] unlocked or
> [b2] locked to Cingular.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

A GSM phone has no real dialup modem, just a sort of virtual modem which
makes a connection to a carrier's IWU (Inter Working Unit), located in some
service center. The IWU has the actual modem that can make analog data calls
and/or fax calls over the PSTN (public switched telephone network). If the
carrier doesn't provide an IWU, or if your account isn't provisioned for CSD
(Circuit Switched Data), then a GSM phone cannot make data and/or fax calls.

Regardless, my recent tests suggest that Cingular has turned off IWU support
for faxing, making this a moot issue for any GSM phone.

In <ARRLe.13660$XL3.9654@bignews3.bellsouth.net> on Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:02:58
-0400, "ja" <__jame_sayton@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Hello John,
>
>I would like to ask if you know whether or not the GC83 will work as a fax
>modem for outgoing faxes?
>
>Thanks,
>James Ayton

>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <g_RJe.571300$cg1.173344@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 08
>Aug
>> 2005 23:34:36 GMT, <noeone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Would [a] I need separate service and such or will I be able to just
>slip my RazrV3 Cingular SIM card out of the fone and slide it into the GC83
>or Sierra card and be up and running?
>>

>> >I have a data plan on it... or is there some kind of "locked" feature to
>the cards too??
>>
>> The card should work with your existing data plan if it's [b1] unlocked or
>> [b2] locked to Cingular.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

> Regardless, my recent tests suggest that Cingular has turned off IWU support
> for faxing, making this a moot issue for any GSM phone.

That was pretty much the answer that I got when I called Cingular. They
won't do faxes via my tethered Motorola V551 phone, but I wasn't sure about
a GC83 card.

If eFax did pay-as-you-go faxes, that would be fine. I don't want to
subscribe, though.

---

In <ddqrgf$1hj$1@blue.rahul.net> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:47:27 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXgc83X.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> Regardless, my recent tests suggest that Cingular has turned off IWU support
>> for faxing, making this a moot issue for any GSM phone.
>
>That was pretty much the answer that I got when I called Cingular. They
>won't do faxes via my tethered Motorola V551 phone, but I wasn't sure about
>a GC83 card.
>
>If eFax did pay-as-you-go faxes, that would be fine. I don't want to
>subscribe, though.

I do pay-as-you-go fax with Fax1.com

> I do pay-as-you-go fax with Fax1.com

12 cents a page outbound is a lot less than I expected for a pay-as-you-go
service. Is that it? Do you have to subscribe to the inbound fax in order
to send? The inbound fax1.com is a subscription, the inbound efax is free.
Outbound fax1.com is cheap, outbound efax is a subscription.

Using both services from either vendor costs money, pairing the two sounds
nearly free.

--
---

In <ddr0mo$6bk$1@blue.rahul.net> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:16:08 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXgc83X.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> I do pay-as-you-go fax with Fax1.com
>
>12 cents a page outbound is a lot less than I expected for a pay-as-you-go
>service. Is that it?

Yes.

>Do you have to subscribe to the inbound fax in order
>to send?

No.

>The inbound fax1.com is a subscription, the inbound efax is free.
>Outbound fax1.com is cheap, outbound efax is a subscription.
>
>Using both services from either vendor costs money, pairing the two sounds
>nearly free.

I do indeed pair them.