Changing Name of Computer

Is there an easy way to change the name one gives to the computer when
you set up?
6 answers Last reply
More about changing computer

    To rename a computer
    Open System in Control Panel.
    On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
    Under Computer name, type a new name for the computer, and then click OK.
    Note
    To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
    then double-click System.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:27g501lka9m4asa37dumk7n2pho8938ins@4ax.com,
    C. Davey Utter <cdutter@spamex.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Is there an easy way to change the name one gives to the computer when
    > you set up?

    Ah, thanks, Wes, I knew it was there someplace!

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:48:31 -0700, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >To rename a computer
    >Open System in Control Panel.
    >On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
    >Under Computer name, type a new name for the computer, and then click OK.
    > Note
    >To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
    >then double-click System.

    Davey,

    LOL It usually is. Finding where is always the callenge.

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:h7j501ph6kj0de0v6jf6qdhke59qmj5r0j@4ax.com,
    C. Davey Utter <cdutter@spamex.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Ah, thanks, Wes, I knew it was there someplace!
    >
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:48:31 -0700, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> To rename a computer
    >> Open System in Control Panel.
    >> On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
    >> Under Computer name, type a new name for the computer, and then
    >> click OK. Note
    >> To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel,
    >> and then double-click System.

    Although I was aware of this little "trick" and where it is in XP Pro, I
    continue to be amazed by the depth of knowledge demonstrated by many who
    post here. For instance, several know exactly where a particular setting is
    in the registry and, if it's not there, what to add. Similarly with the GP
    Editor. Yes, I suspect that several of the experts here make a living from
    their IT skills and knowledge so I suppose it';s like a dental practitioner
    knowing exactly how to fill a tooth or a doctor knowing the dose of a
    particular drug. Nevertheless, hats off to you guys!

    > Davey,
    >
    > LOL It usually is. Finding where is always the callenge.
    >
    > Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Not me, I'm an Electrician not an IT guy. :-)

    Microsoft’s Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpexecsum&style=flat

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eVorvgqCFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Tosca <no-spam@thank-you.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Although I was aware of this little "trick" and where it is in XP
    > Pro, I continue to be amazed by the depth of knowledge demonstrated
    > by many who post here. For instance, several know exactly where a
    > particular setting is in the registry and, if it's not there, what to
    > add. Similarly with the GP Editor. Yes, I suspect that several of
    > the experts here make a living from their IT skills and knowledge so
    > I suppose it';s like a dental practitioner knowing exactly how to
    > fill a tooth or a doctor knowing the dose of a particular drug.
    > Nevertheless, hats off to you guys!

    >> Davey,
    >>
    >> LOL It usually is. Finding where is always the callenge.
    >>
    >> Keep having fun. :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    I'm even more impressed - you're a computer enthusiast (like me) rather than
    a computer professional!

    > Not me, I'm an Electrician not an IT guy. :-)
    >
    > Microsoft’s Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs)
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpexecsum&style=flat
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eVorvgqCFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Tosca <no-spam@thank-you.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Although I was aware of this little "trick" and where it is in XP
    >> Pro, I continue to be amazed by the depth of knowledge demonstrated
    >> by many who post here. For instance, several know exactly where a
    >> particular setting is in the registry and, if it's not there, what to
    >> add. Similarly with the GP Editor. Yes, I suspect that several of
    >> the experts here make a living from their IT skills and knowledge so
    >> I suppose it';s like a dental practitioner knowing exactly how to
    >> fill a tooth or a doctor knowing the dose of a particular drug.
    >> Nevertheless, hats off to you guys!

Configuration Computers Microsoft Customization Windows XP