Canon warranty service - who takes ultimate responsibility?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 25, 2005 6:34:27 PM

I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?

Thanks.

-Joel

July 25, 2005 6:34:28 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:34:27 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
>shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
>his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?

Why didn't he send it directly to Canon? I use their Irvine facility
and have never had anything there more than 10 business days.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:34:28 PM

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
> shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
> his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?
>
> Thanks.

If he sent the camera in for warranty work, it should have
gone to an authorized Canon service center.

Obviously a Canon service center is answerable to Canon.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

wrote:

>I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
>shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
>his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Joel

Assuming the camera is out of warranty (else he'd have sent it to
Canon), why does it matter? What would Canon do if the shop was
answerable to Canon?
If he did send it to Canon for repair, of course Canon's shop is
answerable to Canon. Who else?
The proper question may be, "Why is it taking so long?", but we can't
answer that one.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

>>I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
>>shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
>>his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?
>
>Why didn't he send it directly to Canon? I use their Irvine facility
>and have never had anything there more than 10 business days.

He's not in the U.S.

-Joel

July 27, 2005 7:12:13 PM

>>I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
>>shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
>>his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>-Joel
>
>Assuming the camera is out of warranty (else he'd have sent it to
>Canon), why does it matter? What would Canon do if the shop was
>answerable to Canon?
>If he did send it to Canon for repair, of course Canon's shop is
>answerable to Canon. Who else?
>The proper question may be, "Why is it taking so long?", but we can't
>answer that one.

It's under local warranty from the authorized canon dealer from which
he bought it overseas.

-Joel

July 27, 2005 7:12:14 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:12:13 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>>>I have a friend who's had his practically new Canon 300D in the repair
>>>shop for six weeks, and he can't seem to get the repair shop to fix
>>>his camera. Is the repair shop answerable to Canon?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>-Joel
>>
>>Assuming the camera is out of warranty (else he'd have sent it to
>>Canon), why does it matter? What would Canon do if the shop was
>>answerable to Canon?
>>If he did send it to Canon for repair, of course Canon's shop is
>>answerable to Canon. Who else?
>>The proper question may be, "Why is it taking so long?", but we can't
>>answer that one.
>
>It's under local warranty from the authorized canon dealer from which
>he bought it overseas.
>
>-Joel

If you're saying that he sent it to a Canon shop for warranty work,
then the shop is *OBVIOUSLY* answerable to Canon.
That leaves the question of, why so long? The answer is to, just as
obviously, ask the shop.
Is there some reason this can't be done?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:55:27 AM

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message

>>>Assuming the camera is out of warranty (else he'd have sent it to
>>>Canon), why does it matter? What would Canon do if the shop was
>>>answerable to Canon?
>>>If he did send it to Canon for repair, of course Canon's shop is
>>>answerable to Canon. Who else?t the camera for me >>>answer that one.
>>
>>It's under local warranty from the authorized canon dealer from which
>>he bought it overseas.
>>
>>-Joel
>
> If you're saying that he sent it to a Canon shop for warranty work,
> then the shop is *OBVIOUSLY* answerable to Canon.
> That leaves the question of, why so long? The answer is to, just as
> obviously, ask the shop.
> Is there some reason this can't be done?
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com

I bought a 300D last August and five days later my daughter dropped it and
broke the flash unit. My brother had bought the camera for me..in Lanzarotte
(I live in Ireland). The only documentation I had was a receipt from the
shop but I sent it off to Canon anyway and just said that it wasn't working
properly. Six weeks passed with no aknowledgement or anything and I was
about to claim for a new camera with my house contents insurance when a
customer in my local camera store told me that Canon have an eight week
waiting list for repairs. So I gave it another couple of weeks and sure
enough, the camera came back repaired and good as new...........and no
questions asked! I have great respect for Canon ever since and I'm still
shooting away (although I treated myself to a Panasonic Lumix a few weeks
ago)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:00:15 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:55:27 +0000 (UTC), "honest joe"
<honestjoe@home.com.invalid> wrote:

>"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message

>>>It's under local warranty from the authorized canon dealer from which
>>>he bought it overseas.
>>>
>>>-Joel
>>
>> If you're saying that he sent it to a Canon shop for warranty work,
>> then the shop is *OBVIOUSLY* answerable to Canon.
>> That leaves the question of, why so long? The answer is to, just as
>> obviously, ask the shop.
>> Is there some reason this can't be done?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"
>> funktionality.blogspot.com
>

>I bought a 300D last August and five days later my daughter dropped it and
>broke the flash unit. My brother had bought the camera for me..in Lanzarotte
>(I live in Ireland). The only documentation I had was a receipt from the
>shop but I sent it off to Canon anyway and just said that it wasn't working
>properly. Six weeks passed with no aknowledgement or anything and I was
>about to claim for a new camera with my house contents insurance when a
>customer in my local camera store told me that Canon have an eight week
>waiting list for repairs. So I gave it another couple of weeks and sure
>enough, the camera came back repaired and good as new...........and no
>questions asked! I have great respect for Canon ever since and I'm still
>shooting away (although I treated myself to a Panasonic Lumix a few weeks
>ago)

I'm glad to heaqr you rproblem was solved!

But, why am I in a distinct minority when I think the best way to get
an answer is to ask a question?
Why didn't you contact Canon when you thought the camera was overdue?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:54:03 AM

>customer in my local camera store told me that Canon have an eight week
>waiting list for repairs. So I gave it another couple of weeks and sure

Eight weeks for repairs?! How is that possible?

Can anyone confirm this?

-Joel

August 1, 2005 7:06:44 PM

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >customer in my local camera store told me that Canon have an eight week
>>waiting list for repairs. So I gave it another couple of weeks and sure
>
> Eight weeks for repairs?! How is that possible?
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> -Joel

> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Why do you want confirmation? Do you think I am lying? If there are a
limited number of Canon repair shops, there are thousands of Canon cameras
etc out there and a lot of them must need repairs and services etc, so that
explains it to me. Anyway, I had to wait eight weeks last year and it was
worth it, considering!
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:07:10 PM

>> >customer in my local camera store told me that Canon have an eight week
>>>waiting list for repairs. So I gave it another couple of weeks and sure
>>
>> Eight weeks for repairs?! How is that possible?
>>
>> Can anyone confirm this?
>>

>Why do you want confirmation? Do you think I am lying? If there are a
>limited number of Canon repair shops, there are thousands of Canon cameras
>etc out there and a lot of them must need repairs and services etc, so that
>explains it to me. Anyway, I had to wait eight weeks last year and it was
>worth it, considering!

Because different people have different experiences. I had a terrible
experience with Dell --- it took them almost two weeks to repair a
computer which had a next-day service contract --- but it turns out my
experience was not at all typical. I'm wondering if Canon's usual
service takes 8-weeks.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/