Buying new graphics card...

So this is my current rig: Amd athlon II x2 7850 be 3.0 ghz 4 gb RAM, and nvidia 9600gt. Now, i've checked compatibility of graphic cards with my mobo, and i could get nvidia gtx 550 ti. I've been told to change both cpu and gpu, but i cant really afford changing both of them, so my question is, will i get performance boost in games with changing my old graphic card for the new one, the one already mentioned. Thanks.
17 answers Last reply
More about buying graphics card
  1. What mobo do you have? If you can handle a gtx 550ti, you should be able to handle any other card on the market. What MOBO and PSU do you have? How much are you looking to spend?
  2. With a dual core and from what I have been told the 550 Ti's will not bottle neck but you don't want them I know this is because I have two of them in SLI and if you run two of them it will cause a bottleneck in your rig.

    If you want to get a bigger card that will not cause a bottleneck then look at the 6770 and just maybe not for sure but the 6850 might work. I guess it depends on resolution and how demanding the game is.
  3. its not sli, that is to say dual graphic card, its only one and i only wanted to update it a bit, because my current is pretty old, its good and all, but since i got some cash ive kinda decided to go for this one. thanks for the replies though, much appreciated
  4. Yeah I guess I did not explain it right because you thought I was talking about getting two cards when all I was trying to say not to get the 550 Ti single card. You would have had better preformance with a HD 6850.

    But since you bought the 550 ti you will see a very good improvement with the difference between your old card and it. The problem with the 550 ti is they are the bottom of the GTX 5xx series

    The games of today you won't be able to play at high fps and low on settings but you will be able to play some of the games. Here is a benchmark the 550 ti vs the 6850.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=541
  5. DM186 said:
    Yeah I guess I did not explain it right because you thought I was talking about getting two cards when all I was trying to say not to get the 550 Ti single card. You would have had better preformance with a HD 6850.

    But since you bought the 550 ti you will see a very good improvement with the difference between your old card and it. The problem with the 550 ti is they are the bottom of the GTX 5xx series

    The games of today you won't be able to play at high fps and low on settings but you will be able to play some of the games. Here is a benchmark the 550 ti vs the 6850.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=541


    I didnt buy yet, but im really considering of buying this one cuz it can fit nicely on my mobo, as they said in the shop where i had bought my pc 1st time. The price between that amd radeon 6850 and gtx 550ti is 30euro's, would i be able to run it on my mobo? my mobo is ga-ma720-us3 with 500 watt power supply? thanks
  6. DM186 said:
    Yeah I guess I did not explain it right because you thought I was talking about getting two cards when all I was trying to say not to get the 550 Ti single card. You would have had better preformance with a HD 6850.

    But since you bought the 550 ti you will see a very good improvement with the difference between your old card and it. The problem with the 550 ti is they are the bottom of the GTX 5xx series

    The games of today you won't be able to play at high fps and low on settings but you will be able to play some of the games. Here is a benchmark the 550 ti vs the 6850.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=541

    And ofc will my CPU above mentioned bottleneck that amd radeon graphic card. Thanks
  7. I have been all over looking for something that will hint to you not being able to use the 6850 due to bottlenecking. And so far I have not come across anything. I do how ever are a lot of good thinks about it.

    Your MOBO will be able to handle that card since it is a 6850 you might be able to use it but you will have to watch is closely because it is on the line of bottlenecking. And you might get some in certain games.

    Anyway I wish you good luck.
  8. Well, if that is the truth, then i might aswell get me that amd 6850 card
  9. btw what power supply do i need for amd card?
  10. searinoxxx said:
    btw what power supply do i need for amd card?


    I would get a 500w PSU that is of good quality like a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX type brands. I will link you to two of them. From what I also found out about your CPU that it was at one time a high end CPU.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139033

    Good luck on your choice and your upgrades.
  11. DM186 said:
    I would get a 500w PSU that is of good quality like a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX type brands. I will link you to two of them. From what I also found out about your CPU that it was at one time a high end CPU.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139033

    Good luck on your choice and your upgrades.


    Its and epic CPU, was very cheap and easy to OC even with my 420w power supply, i bet i could squeeze more mhz with new one. I have to say i read alot about radeon 6850 and everyone says its better then 550ti, so i might just take that one. Thanks again man!
  12. DM186 said:
    I would get a 500w PSU that is of good quality like a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX type brands. I will link you to two of them. From what I also found out about your CPU that it was at one time a high end CPU.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139033

    Good luck on your choice and your upgrades.


    One more question. Can i put powercolor's amd radeon 6850 in my motherboard ga-ma720-us3?
  13. searinoxxx said:
    One more question. Can i put powercolor's amd radeon 6850 in my motherboard ga-ma720-us3?


    Yes you can. You have one PCIe x 16 slot It is the one closest to your CPU. The card is a 2.1 and your PCIe slot is a 2.0. The 3.0, 2.1, 2.0, and 1.0 are all backwords compatible.

    So don't worry it will match up just fine and work and you can ask anybody about it. Any of those sizes will work with each other. They made them be able to work or other wise people would not buy anything.

    All they are is how fast the transfer rate of your GPU. If you were to put a lets say a GTX 550 Ti in the 1.0 when it is a 2.0 the 1.0 will cause the preformance in the card to be reduced.

    If you have anymore questions jut ask away and I will try to answer them and good luck on your upgrade and have fun.
  14. DM186 said:
    Yes you can. You have one PCIe x 16 slot It is the one closest to your CPU. The card is a 2.1 and your PCIe slot is a 2.0. The 3.0, 2.1, 2.0, and 1.0 are all backwords compatible.

    So don't worry it will match up just fine and work and you can ask anybody about it. Any of those sizes will work with each other. They made them be able to work or other wise people would not buy anything.

    All they are is how fast the transfer rate of your GPU. If you were to put a lets say a GTX 550 Ti in the 1.0 when it is a 2.0 the 1.0 will cause the preformance in the card to be reduced.

    If you have anymore questions jut ask away and I will try to answer them and good luck on your upgrade and have fun.


    The reason im asking this is because gigabyte version of this card is 20 euro's more expensive then powercolor's, and i dont want to pay more then i have to. What about clocks? Are they same on both cards?
  15. Are these the two cards you are looking but in the UK or in Europe somewhere? Because if they are the gigabyte has a higher clock of 820Hmz where the other one has the standard clock of 775Hmz.

    The gigabyte is a little OC'd but the average card is 775HMz. So if you are trying to save money then get the powercolor one. The last link is all the brands of the cards.

    Use it to check the specs of the cards so you can get a fill about them. You will be able to see the core clocks and if you click on each you can bring up the details of each.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006519&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6850&x=0&y=0
  16. DM186 said:
    Are these the two cards you are looking but in the UK or in Europe somewhere? Because if they are the gigabyte has a higher clock of 820Hmz where the other one has the standard clock of 775Hmz.

    The gigabyte is a little OC'd but the average card is 775HMz. So if you are trying to save money then get the powercolor one. The last link is all the brands of the cards.

    Use it to check the specs of the cards so you can get a fill about them. You will be able to see the core clocks and if you click on each you can bring up the details of each.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006519&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6850&x=0&y=0


    Nice, thanks. Im from Europe, Serbia. One more question just to know. If i ever want to, lets say, enchance graphical performance of my pc in future, can i get another one of these and get them in crossfire, cuz i read they can work in dual, that is crossfire mode, i just dont know if my mobo can support that. And mate, thanks alot, im kinda pain in the neck, but im just making sure im properly informed. :ange:
  17. It would be nice if you could corssfire it but unfortunately you only have one PCIe x 16 slot. You need two of them to crossfire. That means you will have to get a new MOBO that has two PCIe x 16 slots. Here is a copy of your MOBO. Good luck to you.

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/Gigabyte-GA-M720-US3_PC-Component_photos
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics Product