Sign in with
Your question

GTX 590. A quick Temperature and Fan question.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2012 11:23:19 PM

Hey guys. I used MSI Afterburner to Overclock my Asus GTX 590 to 667 Mhz Core, 1332 Mhz Shader, and 1746 Mhz Memory. When I play a graphics intensive game such as Crysis, my temps go to around low-mid 90s, and I have my "fan speed" set to "auto".

Are these good temperatures? If not, what can I do with regards to my fan speed to make the temperatures to a desireable range?

Keep in mind also that the noise of the fan doesn't bother me at all. So if setting my fan speed to 100% will solve the problem at the expense of making it really really loud, I'm perfectly fine with that (As long as it doesn't damage my card.).

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
April 18, 2012 12:23:33 AM

DTsoy said:
Hey guys. I used MSI Afterburner to Overclock my Asus GTX 590 to 667 Mhz Core, 1332 Mhz Shader, and 1746 Mhz Memory. When I play a graphics intensive game such as Crysis, my temps go to around low-mid 90s, and I have my "fan speed" set to "auto".

Are these good temperatures? If not, what can I do with regards to my fan speed to make the temperatures to a desireable range?

Keep in mind also that the noise of the fan doesn't bother me at all. So if setting my fan speed to 100% will solve the problem at the expense of making it really really loud, I'm perfectly fine with that (As long as it doesn't damage my card.).

Thanks in advance.

-Dan

Mid 90s is getting close to heat limitation which the card can sustain. If too toasty, the card should throttle back but I would not be comfortable with these temps but that is just me.

I would suggest:
- to manually set fan to reduce heat under 90s
- evaluate if you can improve the airflow in your case to reduce temps

If that those not work, consider lowering the card clocks to reduce heat.

Of course if you want to eliminate this issue, you may want to water cool the card and you could, at the point, bump the card clock from anything between 700 to 750 Mhz or even more if you have a great over clocker in your hands.
m
l
April 18, 2012 12:29:21 AM

MichaelNight said:
Mid 90s is getting close to heat limitation which the card can sustain. If too toasty, the card should throttle back but I would not be comfortable with these temps but that is just me.

I would suggest:
- to manually set fan to reduce heat under 90s
- evaluate if you can improve the airflow in your case to reduce temps

If that those not work, consider lowering the card clocks to reduce heat.

Of course if you want to eliminate this issue, you may want to water cool the card and you could, at the point, bump the card clock from anything between 700 to 750 Mhz or even more if you have a great over clocker in your hands.

So, before turning on a game like Crysis, I would set the fan speed up in MSI afterburner, alright.

So what would be a good fan speed to set it at? like I said up there, the noise from the fan doesn't bother me at all, so I'll set it to 100% if it won't damage my video card.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 3:17:18 AM

DTsoy said:
So, before turning on a game like Crysis, I would set the fan speed up in MSI afterburner, alright.

So what would be a good fan speed to set it at? like I said up there, the noise from the fan doesn't bother me at all, so I'll set it to 100% if it won't damage my video card.

Well in my opinion, you can crank it up to 100% if you don't mind the noise but it is like everything, if you push something to the limit for a long period of time it could damage the fan in the long run. As I mention, look for alternatives to lower temps.

One question, why do you push the core clock that much? Is it for benchmark because and overclocking will only give you a few frames more per second in games. That overclock is the reason why you have so much heat...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2012 3:23:28 AM

DTsoy said:

start up your computer and start some none gaming programs that you would normally have open and not the gpu temp with those programs open. now go into MSI afterburner and set a fan profile that goes for like 25% fan speed to a much higher speed at a temp about 5*c hotter then what you noted earlier.

basically set a profile that turns up the fan speed at a temp above what an idle temp would be.
m
l
!