Sign in with
Your question

Is CPU too hot????

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2012 1:23:06 AM

I can get on my newly built (today) computer for about 20 min then it shuts off. I googled it and peopel seem to say its the CPU. However, mine seems off from the others. Once it is off it will not turn on for a long time. I know that power is going to the mother board because the ethernet LED is on. I was very careful when installing it. What is a healthy CPU temp?

More about : cpu hot

a c 109 à CPUs
October 15, 2012 1:25:21 AM

You didn't list any CPU temperatures or what you were doing when your computer crashed.

Monitor your temperatures with a program such as RealTemp or HWMonitor and let us know what your idles are.

Though, generally speaking, for Intel CPU's, idle's (with a stock cooler) should be around 30-40C depending on ambient temperatures and loads can go up to around 50-70C depending on which CPU you're using.

For AMD CPU's, I generally experienced idles of around 35-40C (with stock cooler) and loads of around 50C.
m
l
October 15, 2012 1:37:19 AM

mocchan said:
You didn't list any CPU temperatures or what you were doing when your computer crashed.

Monitor your temperatures with a program such as RealTemp or HWMonitor and let us know what your idles are.

Though, generally speaking, for Intel CPU's, idle's (with a stock cooler) should be around 30-40C depending on ambient temperatures and loads can go up to around 50-70C depending on which CPU you're using.

For AMD CPU's, I generally experienced idles of around 35-40C (with stock cooler) and loads of around 50C.

I checked it earlier it was 41 C when idle. It shut off once when I was updating drivers and the last was playing pandora. It still will not start up.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 1:39:36 AM

it may also help that when I first built it, it would turn off and on off and on. When it did that I built it again out of the case and it worked so I put it back in. Was doing fine for about 20 min and you know the rest.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 15, 2012 1:40:42 AM

What CPU are you using? Also, what do you mean the Ethernet LED is on? Are the fans on your computer still running? If your motherboard is on, that's telling me something is wrong with either your GPU or video drivers.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 15, 2012 1:41:21 AM

STNICK_85 said:
it may also help that when I first built it, it would turn off and on off and on. When it did that I built it again out of the case and it worked so I put it back in. Was doing fine for about 20 min and you know the rest.

Are all the motherboard stand offs correctly in position?a
m
l
October 15, 2012 1:42:46 AM

No just the led on were I plugged in the ethernet cord for internet. No all fans are off. 2 on the tower and the two on the card (sapphire 7870). The CPU is a i5 3700
m
l
October 15, 2012 1:43:37 AM

mocchan said:
Are all the motherboard stand offs correctly in position?a

I have checked that several times
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 15, 2012 1:56:12 AM

I'm still puzzled by how your "Computer stays off for a long time" before it agrees to turn on again.

Your CPU seems to be staying in reasonable temperatures and you've said you have installed/checked the motherboard stand-offs.
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:01:59 AM

mocchan said:
I'm still puzzled by how your "Computer stays off for a long time" before it agrees to turn on again.

Your CPU seems to be staying in reasonable temperatures and you've said you have installed/checked the motherboard stand-offs.

I know its getting weird. I think I am goign to take it to a shop in the morining.
m
l
!