CPU bottlenecking my vide card or something else?

rikimanu

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hello, i´m really confused about if my proccesor is failing, is bad or there´s some sort of problem with something else.

My proccesor is a pentium dual core 3 Ghz, according to some people it should be enough to play decently most of the games specially with a good graphic card.

I´m close of buying a new motherboard to then buy a new better and cheaper graphic card. My motherboard is old and the best graphic cards or the ¨good¨ones enough to run games without trouble are expensive.

socialfox

Distinguished
I would say pentium dual cores will bottleneck most of the high end graphics card, can we get a specific model of your cpu? Typically in modern days quad cores are recommended for gaming but dual cores can play modern games too but have lower fps.

G

Sure about GTA IV or FSX? Those games need 4 real cores to get to the realm of playability!

Not "especially with a good graphics card" rather the OPPOSITE. The better the graphics card, the more LIKELY it is to fail to reach full performance if the CPU is too slow and can't send it the instructions fast enough.

Your CPU isn't broken. When they die your computer crashes or won't start at all.

Whether a game is bottlenecked by your CPU depends on the following:
a) Which game you are playing.
b) How good the Graphics Card is (a lower-end card may not be bottlenecked).

I'd imagine even an HD6870 (or the game itself) would be bottlenecked by many games with that CPU.

As for GTA IV, I have a really good system and I gave up trying to play it because I just can't hit 60FPS without really cranking down the quality. I've spent hours trying to tweak it and gave up.

*There are plenty of great games (some old, some new) that don't need the best system to run:
- Angry Birds series
- Torchlight 1 and 2
- Diablo 3
etc