Asus N53SN-RH71 randomly powering off

grgoffe

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi,

I have started having problems with my Asus Laptop. It's less than a year old. I'm running Fedora (Core) 16 x86_64. I have an external SATA disk AND a USB keyboard/mouse connected via USB2 and USB3.

The system seems to want to just power off randomly without any warning or messages on either the console OR /var/log/messages. This seems to be re-creatable by making the disk busy but not always. It just powered itself off a few minutes ago with only minimal I/O happening on the disk.

I have a bug report open on the mozilla.redhat.com (fedora) bugs site but the respondent seems to think it's hardware since none of their code (he says) will do a power off.

I could sure use help with this if anyone has any ideas/tips/hints/suggestions.

Regards and THANKS,

George...

Whilst it's (presumably) still covered by the manufacturer's warranty I would go down that route rather than trying to fix it yourself. While you are battling to rectify the problem (which may well be caused by faulty hardware) the warranty may expire and then it's going to cost you to have it fixed instead of Asus or the warranty provider paying for it.

grgoffe

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Phil,

Thanks for your help.

George...

Suggest you download a temp monitoring utility. Laptops cut out when they go overtemp, like when you use them on a bed that blocks airflow.

Suggest make sure BIOS is up to date (if the system seems stable enough to risk loading BIOS). USB3 is not that old.

grgoffe

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Tsnor,

Thanks for your info. I'll see if I can find an update on their web site.

Regards,

George...