All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files a..

From: "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com>
Subject: All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files and
directories....
Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005 3:29 PM

My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents of
that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and directories
in the user folder.)

I have temporarily ameliorated the problem by hiding files in the user
directory so they don't appear on the programs menu, but I would like to
know how to remove this menu.

Thank you in advance for a solution.

--
Best Regards,

S. Felicetti
4 answers Last reply
More about programs menu displays upper menu user files

    "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote:

    >My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
    >displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
    >menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
    >of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents of
    >that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
    >directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and directories
    >in the user folder.)

    Check the Registry settings for the Start Menu. In
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders
    the setting should read
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
    In
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders the setting should be
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu

    --
    (tm)

    Thorsten,

    Thanks for the tip; I'll see whether it fixes the problem....

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
    >>displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
    >>menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
    >>of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents
    >>of
    >>that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
    >>directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and
    >>directories
    >>in the user folder.)
    >
    > Check the Registry settings for the Start Menu. In
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    > the setting should read
    > %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
    > In
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders the setting should be
    > %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Hi Stephen,

    Don't bother with all that registry hokus pokus, just rightclick the START
    button, select open and just manipulate the icons in the window. Keep the
    window open and this time rightclick START and select open all users.

    Drag icons from the allusers window to the first window so that only you can
    see them on your account.

    Andy

    "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote in message

    > From: "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com>
    > Subject: All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files and
    > directories....
    > Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005 3:29 PM
    >
    > My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
    > displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
    > menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
    > of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents
    of
    > that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
    > directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and
    directories
    > in the user folder.)
    >
    > I have temporarily ameliorated the problem by hiding files in the user
    > directory so they don't appear on the programs menu, but I would like to
    > know how to remove this menu.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for a solution.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > S. Felicetti

    The registry hocus pocus fixed my problem; it was in error.

    Thanks, Andrew for your suggestion, but my problem was not solvable through
    just using standard XP desktop features, including what you described. The
    user files and registry had become corrupt, rendering alternate-clicking the
    Start menu and dragging and dropping and so forth unpredictable in its
    results.

    Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

    "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Stephen,
    >
    > Don't bother with all that registry hokus pokus, just rightclick the START
    > button, select open and just manipulate the icons in the window. Keep the
    > window open and this time rightclick START and select open all users.
    >
    > Drag icons from the allusers window to the first window so that only you
    > can
    > see them on your account.
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> From: "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com>
    >> Subject: All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files and
    >> directories....
    >> Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005 3:29 PM
    >>
    >> My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
    >> displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
    >> menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire
    >> contents
    >> of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents
    > of
    >> that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
    >> directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and
    > directories
    >> in the user folder.)
    >>
    >> I have temporarily ameliorated the problem by hiding files in the user
    >> directory so they don't appear on the programs menu, but I would like to
    >> know how to remove this menu.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for a solution.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards,
    >>
    >> S. Felicetti

Configuration Displays Customization Windows XP