All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files a..

February 4, 2005 4:00:49 AM

From: "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com>
Subject: All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files and
directories....
Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005 3:29 PM

My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents of
that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and directories
in the user folder.)

I have temporarily ameliorated the problem by hiding files in the user
directory so they don't appear on the programs menu, but I would like to
know how to remove this menu.

Thank you in advance for a solution.

--
Best Regards,

S. Felicetti
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:41:52 AM

"Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote:

>My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
>displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
>menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
>of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents of
>that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
>directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and directories
>in the user folder.)

Check the Registry settings for the Start Menu. In
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
the setting should read
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
In
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders the setting should be
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Thorsten,

Thanks for the tip; I'll see whether it fixes the problem....

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:o r4FE1oCFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote:
>
>>My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
>>displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
>>menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
>>of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents
>>of
>>that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
>>directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and
>>directories
>>in the user folder.)
>
> Check the Registry settings for the Start Menu. In
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
> the setting should read
> %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
> In
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders the setting should be
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
>
> --
> (tm)
February 5, 2005 4:01:18 AM

Hi Stephen,

Don't bother with all that registry hokus pokus, just rightclick the START
button, select open and just manipulate the icons in the window. Keep the
window open and this time rightclick START and select open all users.

Drag icons from the allusers window to the first window so that only you can
see them on your account.

Andy

"Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com> wrote in message

> From: "Stephen F Felicetti" <stephen@felicetti.com>
> Subject: All Programs Menu displays an upper menu with user files and
> directories....
> Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005 3:29 PM
>
> My "all programs" menu on my start menu (XP Home SP2) recently began
> displaying an additional upper menu separated from the standard menu; the
> menu is above a horizontal line and strangely contains the entire contents
> of my main user folder. (I have one user on my computer and the contents
of
> that folder are displayed at the top of my programs menu, including the
> directory "UserData" for example, as well as any other files and
directories
> in the user folder.)
>
> I have temporarily ameliorated the problem by hiding files in the user
> directory so they don't appear on the programs menu, but I would like to
> know how to remove this menu.
>
> Thank you in advance for a solution.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> S. Felicetti

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:16:17 AM

The registry hocus pocus fixed my problem; it was in error.

Thanks, Andrew for your suggestion, but my problem was not solvable through
just using standard XP desktop features, including what you described. The
user files and registry had become corrupt, rendering alternate-clicking the
Start menu and dragging and dropping and so forth unpredictable in its
results.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

!