Sign in with
Your question

PC Keeps on Hanging after "Overclock Fail" message in BIOS

Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2012 1:58:16 AM

I had my RAM RMA-ed recently because the first one kept my PC hanging and restarting. After I got the new RAM, there were no restarts, hangs or BSODs for 3 days. I even left my PC downloading overnight to check and it was fine. It did not hang or restart. Then yesterday, while I was browsing the web, my PC hung. Then after I restarted it, a message in BIOS displayed saying "Overclock Failed" so I pressed F2 to load the defaults. Ever since that happened, my PC kept on hanging for unknown reasons. I don't know why. I already updated my BIOS because I searched in Google and found out that it was an issue with ASUS Motherboards wherein even though you haven't overclocked your PC, a message like that appears. But my PC is still hanging and I don't know now what the problem is. :( 

Processor: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80 Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D LE
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 550 Ti
RAM: 2 x 4 GB G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9D) (But I set it to 1333Mhz because I thought it won't hang if I use that)
Power Supply: FSP Aurum 650W
Hard Drive: 1 x 1 TB Seagate

Note: I never tried overclocking my PC before this happened because I don't know how to overlock.
a c 328 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 3:39:30 AM

I'm afraid you RMA'd the wrong component. It sounds like a motherboard problem.
October 15, 2012 4:42:06 AM

clutchc said:
I'm afraid you RMA'd the wrong component. It sounds like a motherboard problem.

No. I mean, RAM was really the problem before because I tried using my friend's RAM which is G.Skill too and my PC did not hang or restarted but when I used mine, it hung and restarted. When I got my new RAM, I'm not anymore getting the random restarts and also the hangs. It just started hanging yesterday after that "overclock fail" incident. But it didn't hang or restarted when I got my new RAM for around 3 days. As in no problems at all. Just started yesterday for a reason I don't know yet..
a c 328 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 8:55:42 PM

Have you tried clearing the CMOS by jumpering the CLR RTC pins with the battery removed?

How long before it messes up? Hours, Days?
!