Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k or i7 3770k for gaming pc

Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2012 2:28:00 AM

Hi everyone I'm going to be building a new pc over the next month and was wondering on your opinion of either the i5 3570k or i7 3770k. It's main purpose will be gaming, uploading some gameplay to youtube, using some maths software and general usage (ie internet and word). There is about a $100 price difference and from what I worked out the i7 has hyperthreading and an extra 2mb of cache. I understand HT is not being used currently in games but do you think that this will pick up in the next few years? Also what does an extra 2mb of cache give you? Also would the i7 be better for future proofing as I plan to have this pc for about 4 years. Thanks for the help

More about : 3570k 3770k gaming

a b à CPUs
October 15, 2012 2:34:50 AM

Well personally I don't believe in future proofing computer since technology and take a sudden change like how traditional hard drives to Solid State Drives. Anyways I would go with the i7 3770k since it will perform better than your other option and will help you in terms of gaming when it comes to cpu utilizing games like skyrim.
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:35:28 AM

You will be fine with the i5. They will show age at the same time, maybe a few more months with the i7. But I don't think the next big leap is going to be ht. I just think it will be go directly to 8cores, and ht won't make that much of a difference. so i would go with the i5. that is future proof enough.
m
l
Related resources
a c 132 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 15, 2012 2:45:57 AM

Jacko1235 said:
Also would the i7 be better for future proofing as I plan to have this pc for about 4 years. Thanks for the help

You are likely looking at 5-10 years before finely threaded games and applications become common. Any CPU you may be able to buy today will be almost completely obsolete by then so there is no point in looking that far ahead when buying today.
m
l
October 15, 2012 3:02:52 AM

socialfox said:
Well personally I don't believe in future proofing computer since technology and take a sudden change like how traditional hard drives to Solid State Drives. Anyways I would go with the i7 3770k since it will perform better than your other option and will help you in terms of gaming when it comes to cpu utilizing games like skyrim.

Solid state drives weren't a sudden change. A decent amount of people still don't bother with them, and you rarely see a pc without a hard drive. Also aren't cpu heavy games, more rts style games? Once again I don't think hyperthreading is going to be the next standard. I kind of think it will always be there, but as more of a preminum. The next standard will probably be 6 or 8 cores, and future i7's will have 12 or 16 logical. In four years your i5 will probably be like an i3 in today's standards, which is still good.
m
l
October 15, 2012 3:39:37 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. With the extra $100 I could get a really good cpu cooler and overclock the crap out of the i5. If I got an i7 I probably wouldn't spend a ridiculous amount on a cpu cooler. Also does 2mb of cache make that much difference? I don't want to be able to play a game in 4 years time on max settings I would just like to be able to play. Also will either of these throttle sli gtx 670's
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 15, 2012 3:41:36 AM

No.
m
l
October 15, 2012 3:49:54 AM

I also play a fair amount of rts games. I've heard in the future they may have HT. But summarising the general comments I've received here there is no difference between the i5 and i7 for gaming. The i7 is only better where HT is enabled like editing and things like that. This may be slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good cooler around $80 and max $100 that is quiet.
m
l
October 15, 2012 3:55:03 AM

There is a slight difference in games like bf3, but that is one of the only thar ut makes a diffference.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2012 4:48:01 AM

Perhaps the i5 and a good SSD?
m
l
October 16, 2012 5:18:17 PM

it's no contest, Intel i5-2500K/3570K for the win...

if in the US and live near Microcenter or Fry's they have in-store only deals and you can get the CPU and/or CPU + mobo combo for less than anywhere else.
plus they price match.

i5-3570K @ $195.74 out the door..
m
l
!