Sign in with
Your question

Possible Boot Sector virus: what to do?

Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2012 6:40:30 AM

A 2 year old machine has developed problems

Something is disabling my av software when i boot up. It's blue screening every 1/4hr
or so and comes back on with av switched off and virus defs deleted.

Sometimes I have had to go to loading from xp home disc and running repair to get the config sys file back.

Is there some software that runs from command prompt to scan for nasties before windows boots?

I'd appreciate any help you could offer, DB

More about : boot sector virus

June 14, 2012 7:11:35 AM

Back up your files you care about and then wipe everything and reinstall, is the sure fire fix.
Related resources
June 14, 2012 7:27:58 AM

I would be carefull when backing up your files then putting them back onto the computer because some of the files you put back on might be infected... I would say try downloading avast antivirus and malwarebytes anti malware and run scans and if that doesn't do anything reformat everything
June 19, 2012 7:50:18 AM

coper210 said:
I would be carefull when backing up your files then putting them back onto the computer because some of the files you put back on might be infected... I would say try downloading avast antivirus and malwarebytes anti malware and run scans and if that doesn't do anything reformat everything

If you are willing to spend the time, this is a good line of action, but personally, I can usually figure out what I downloaded that was infected rather quickly without even needing these tools since it is usually a recent file (haven't needed to for years luckily). Unless of course you get one of those nasty time bombs, then you have a whole different beast. At the end of the day the back up and wipe method is usually the fastest easiest option if your current antivirus isn't enough for the job. Emphasis on if your current antivirus isn't up for the job, there are rootkit removal tools built into some antvirus that run before anything boots. I think avg has a product like this, but it has been a while since I used those tools because of the reliability of just backing up and reformatting... :D 
August 18, 2012 10:44:35 AM

I wll suggest the following programs:

RKill, Malware Bytes, and Rogue Killer

run all three, the first two in safe mode
!