Your question

Pc wont boot.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2012 7:13:53 AM

I've just finished replacing parts in my pc. I changed the mobo, the ram, the cpu and the power supply unit. However i can't log into my user because the computer keeps resetting as soon as it gets to the windows logo. I looked up the problem and people say to use the f8 technique or to just boot from a cd and reinstall windows, i try booting from and cd AND also tried usb and none work, it restarts every time. The motherboard is detecting all the hardware because i can see it in the BIOS. ram, cpu, hard drive, and whatever else, it detects them all. So can somebody please help me. The hard drive is pretty old so i'm hoping that the hard drive is the problem, i could buy a new one. My motherboard required SATA 6gbs, so i don't know what my current hard drive is, but i see it in the BIOS. Please help

More about : wont boot

a b B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2012 7:33:40 AM

Sounds like something's over heating and restarting the computer. Is your heatsink seated properly, airflow okay?
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:36:43 AM

yes everything is fine, i think it's my hard drive, it doesn't say whether it's 6gbs or not. I just hope if i buy a new hard drive, that ill be able to install windows..
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 7:50:28 AM

I see that happen all the time when the heatsink isn't seated properly. Check that for sure.

Beyond that, Windows may be trying to load up some problematic driver that doesn't jive with your setup, may need to try reinstalling Windowsif reseating the heatsink doesn't work. I highly doubt it's a problem with your HDD.
m
l
June 14, 2012 5:27:56 PM

So i have to remove the heatsink and clean off the thermal paste and apply a fresh layer and put it back is what you're saying?
m
l
June 14, 2012 6:43:30 PM

Just checked the cpu and the heatsink and reread the instructions to make sure i set it up properly. It shows the cpu and temps in the bios so i doubt that the heatsink isn't seated properly. The pc boots up, screen saying american megatrends pops up displaying the hard drive and a few other devices, then it asks me if i want to start on safe mode or safe mode with cmd promp or networking or to start normal. If i choose one of the safe modes, a bunch of words will run down the screen saying multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Windows\System32\Drivers [and then dif file names follow after it says drivers]

And if i choose start normal or last known good configuration, it will go to windows logo which loads like it's laggy (pauses, then proceeds, then pauses and proceeds again, lasts about 3 seconds) and then it restarts the computer from beginning and just continues in this loop.
m
l
June 14, 2012 6:47:40 PM

Also, the hard drive is Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:11:21 PM

I fixed the problem, it was the hard drive. Bought a new one. 1Tb SATA 6gb/s. Thanks anyways
m
l
!